Scotts stabilizer with a KX frontend?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Scotts stabilizer with a KX frontend?

Post by Indawoods »

Is anyone running a Scotts with a KX conversion? I am very close to completion but trying to figure out what it is I need to complete it. The angle of the mount is wrong and the pin is 3/4 to an inch from the arm. I have an email into Scotts but thought I would ask here too.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i am running a scotts with my kx forks but seeing as how mine is an 89 i dont think it will help you. it was a real pain to get it figured out and i do have a weld on post that i will give you. the best bet is call scotts and tell them what you are doing. at first if you get someone who doesnt seem to want to help you call back. i cant remember the guys name that helped me but he was a huge help. i also have a frame mount u can have if you think u need it. keep in mind they are for the kx500 1990 frame they fit my bike but there was a gas tank clearance problem.
let me know i dont mind sendinding pics
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i will send you the parts i have left over to see if they fit

all i can tell you is
1 you will love those forks
2 you wont ride again without a scotts
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I guess I shoulda told ya that I had the Scotts mounted on the original setup. Bolt-on kit was used. :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

post pics of your setup

i forgot to mention that i went with solid aluminum cones instead of the scotts
rubber cones. the ones that the bar mounts go into the top clamp
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I just added a photo of mine in the gallery. I tweaked the mount for the stem that attaches to the frame so it lines up with the slot in the stabilizer arm. A bench vise and a 3 lb slege did the trick.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

BTW I've been told by guys who are following me that, at times, they can't believe I didn't crash after a particular section that I got completely out of shape on. I owe not crashing on those occasions to the scotts. It is amazing when you are so completely out of control, that your hands are no longer even CLOSE to the bars, yet the bike continues to track straight and true over knarley terrain, giving me time to wonder in amazement and get back to riding with out a get-off.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here is a pic of the old setup:

I will post a pic of what it looks like now... I know part of the problem is that the mount for the KDX is angled upward because the handlebar mounts point back. The KX's handlebar mounts are perfectly straight with the tree.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i posted some pics of my current setup in the gallery. i had to get a new mount for the stabilizer for mine to work. i also had to remove some metal from the top triple clamp for clearance with the frame bracket.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What frontend you have? From a KX500? What mounting kit did you buy?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here's the shots:

I think the KX mounting kit may do the trick...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You see above how the handlbar mounts are parallel with the tree.... This is the KDX's.... it is angled. So... this is why I think the KX mount will work. Anyone in the market for a KDX Scotts mount that will take a computer? 95 and up!

Sorry m0rie... Had to get a pic before I sent em.... :eek:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i originally ordered a universal bolt on kit for an 89 kdx200. then i put the 90 kx500 front end on. i used the frame mount i had, made the triple clamp fit, then i ordered the bar clamp from scotts for the 90 kx500. i also ordered the frame bracket for the 90 kx500. it fit my frame and all but the gas tank wouldnt go on. thats why i ended up making my original frame bracket work. it looks like the kx bar clamp that the stabilizer mounts on is all you need.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well I ordered the KX mount... $70 shipped. :evil: :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

you got off cheaper than i did then. :lol: post some pics when you get everything together. did you see skipro3's setup? that looks cool with the oversized bars.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... he must be rich! :cry: :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

filthy rich i'd say. but good for him :prayer:
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Obviously the two pieces are supposed to be on the same plane. If they are not, there will be lateral movement as the bars are turned.

Make sure you have the travel to do that!

Inda, are your bars rotated particularly far forward for the crossbar to clear the Scotts?

I want a set of forks!!! :cry: Yesterday I got stuck more'n a couple of times when the oem kdx forks started plowing in a rut. Had to wheelie out of the rut when I should have been (according to me) able to simply ride it out.

Someday. When I grow up............

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I've got plenty of room to move the bars back and forward with the KDX setup, and once I get the KX setup... I expect it will be the same. I've got standard bars but Scotts has a deal on bars with a arched crossbar that will give you more room. I don't think it's needed... at least for me.

CC... check the link I put in the Parts area for the 99 KX forks...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Hey! Are your KX hannelbar pedestals bushed? I figured I'd have to have the top clamp machined to accept bushings (I want 'em) cuz KXs didn't come with them.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!