Grips and kick start nut.

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Grips and kick start nut.

Post by Mark W »

Went riding with my son again today. We didn't stay long as his favorite track changed quite a bit since the last time we were there. One tabletop change to angle and the lip of the jump and it sent everyone much higher than ever before.

Anyway we had gone around a few times and we doing the one more lap before luch when I saw Chris bite the dirt hard on the "new" jumo. He was singing pretty good and after checking him out and finding that everything still worker properly, I went over to his KX65. The bikes bars were pretty bent and a couple of other minor things. Took the bars off and bought some new ones as I figure bending the old bars back isn't a good diea. Anyway, can you get old grips off and reuse them or are they toast. Also, what kind of adhesive do you use. Guys at Bob's said hair spray.

Also, when taking my 2002 220 off the truck, I noticed that kick start wasn't right. Sure enoough, it came right off the bike and is now missing the nut. Is that nut anything special or can I find one at the hardware store? Any idea on the size.

Thanks guys -

Mark
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

the grips are goners cuz it aint worth the time to save $8, I use honda grip cement cuz it's cheaper than the grip guys sell, and you get a lot more. It's probably just rubber cement anyway.

For the kick start nut, I went to Napa and tried a couple of their grade 8 red ones. size? I dunno, they let me bring the tray out and find one that fit. Then they wouldn't charge me for it. You probably know this, but you need to loctite just about everything on the bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Pick up a nut at the dealership... .85 cents! :supz: Pretty much all KX/KDX ones are the same...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

Yeah, I have to order a clutch lever boot from the dealer anyway so I may as well pick up a nut there as well. I bet they don't have one as they never have anything.

I know I lock tited the nut, or make thatr fairly certain that I did.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Dirt Bike Mag has tips: Use Clear Coat Spray Paint, let it dry on the bars, then spray into the grips and place on bars. They claim its dry & rideable in about 1hr.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
alistair

Post by alistair »

you can try putting compressed air up the grip to try an blow it off.
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
cmot

Post by cmot »

I don't use a severe adhesive on my grips, just a little silicon or small amount glue. But I buy the thicker better grips instead of the cheapies. What I do to change them is insert a fairly long screwdriver down inside and spray soapy water into it and rotate the screwdriver around the bar. Gets them off in good shape every time. :supz: Good luck....
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Cmot's idea does work as does Alistair's idea: provided that you did not use a real good glue to attach the grip.

Paint, hair spray, super glue, grip glues, rubber cement, friction tape w/solvent are methods that I have tried. Use to be that grips would last me 2-4 years without twisting or wearing out. Now I'm lucky to have them last a season!! It not that I ride more (quite less actually) but I really think the softer rubber compounds do not stand up to the death grip(s) that the old rubber compounds did. I like to buy bars that are knurled on the left grip side to aid in keeping the grip stationary.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My bars are knurled, I don't use any kind of glue and my grips stay put.

Why? I don't know... but I'm glad they do.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
cmot

Post by cmot »

Knurling the bar, not a bad idea. I've found the Scott grips that are everywhere are so thin and soft that they dont last and have to be secured. The ProGrips I buy dont tend to slip so they dont need to much secureing and last a long time.
Also I've had a couple guys ride my bike and ask me if wher they can get these grips. They really liked them. :razz:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...