Bringing relic back to life

Got questions? We got answers....
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bringing relic back to life

Post by bradf »

I sold a 76 XL250 about 10 years ago in perfect running order. Now it's back for me to revive. It has set for all those years and the gas leaked into the cylinder then filled the case. Luckily the tank is clean is dry. I have drained the case and filled with kerosene. Removed the plug and sprayed WD into the hole. I removed the carb and it is soaking in cleaner. Only the bowl was seriously affected by the gas turning into the stinky brown substance that is still stinking the garage. I am getting a new battery and I'll check and clean the points. I have a cuppla Q's for you. (Inda, these are Questions!) Any idea on setting the float level for a Keihin that has 2 big round floats? After the kero is drained would ATF type-F be good to run through?
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Brad... I asked my stepdad, he has rebuilt many a motor and says... yes, run ATF through it to clear up the kero. For the float level... Get a manual! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

It's....ALIVE!!!
Did the kero, then drained and put in the type F. As for the carb float, there was a barely distinguishable line on the side of the float, so I made it parallel with the carb base. It actually runs quite well, for an old XL250.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Glad to hear it Brad! I love success stories! :cry:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "