shavings in oil during oil change ? (normal?)

Got questions? We got answers....
beeds3000

shavings in oil during oil change ? (normal?)

Post by beeds3000 »

I change my clutch oil after every day of riding, I rode at St. Joe for 6-7 hours and then came home and changed my oil there was a small to medium amount of tiny silver shavings in the oil when I drained it My question is, is this just normal wear of the clutch or is something wrong??? we are pretty hard on them clutching up wheelies and shifting up gears with out the clutch lever ???
Geoff T. Biderman
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: shavings in oil during oil change ? (normal?)

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
beeds3000 wrote:I change my clutch oil after every day of riding, I rode at St. Joe for 6-7 hours and then came home and changed my oil there was a small to medium amount of tiny silver shavings in the oil when I drained it My question is, is this just normal wear of the clutch or is something wrong??? we are pretty hard on them clutching up wheelies and shifting up gears with out the clutch lever ???
You state that you change the oil after every ride. Is this the first time you've seen shavings in the oil? Clutches are a wear item...wear has to go some where? However, I'm a tad concerned about how "hard" you were on the transmission gears when up shifting with no clutch. Using this method to shift will not put excess wear on the clutch...only the transmission gears. If you have not had noticable shavings in the oil before...it may be an indicator that something was taking a beating this time. Could be clutch, could be gears, could be?

I wouldn't worry too much if everything feels normal. Just keep checking after every ride. If this trend continues...it might be time to take a look inside.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
cmot

Post by cmot »

If it that noticable just looking at the oil then somethings going south. If its a little bit at the bottom of the drain pan then you might be ok. Its not that hard to pop off the right cover and check some things like clutches and the basket, water pump mech. ect. If you let it explode it could add a lot of expense. :blink:
Use a magnet and see if its alum/steel. This can point you at different things.
I've seen clutch baskets come loose and start traveling and wearing on the inside of the clutch cover too. Good luck and let us know. :grin:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...