idle and pilot am I missing something

Got questions? We got answers....
santod

idle and pilot am I missing something

Post by santod »

since moving to the CEx needles I have lost my idle. I started with a 40 pilot and I would foul plugs just trying to warm the bike up. I moved to a 38 pilot and the fouling is gone but once the bike get good and warm I lose my idle (to rich). I did some tinkering today and had the airscrew out 3.5 turns and it just will not idle.

For a sanity check I went back to the r1174k needle with a 38 pilot and all I will say there was no idling issues. Should I move to a 36 pilot with the CEx needle (so far I have not found any posts that refer to a 36 pilot is recommended in a 200)? Is there something else I am missing?

Everything is pretty much new on the bike. The only thing I have found is that a lot of you all do not like the RAD Valve. Could this be causing such behavior?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Try dropping the needle instead of dropping the pilot.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
santod

Post by santod »

with the cem needle I started with clip 3 and results were good except the idle. The plug was a bit on the black side so I went to clip 2 and the bike ran great with a nice light brown color.

Do you suggest I try clip 1?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My brother's bike that I built for him was having an idling problem and it ended up being the pilot jet was clogged. Replaced it and it ran like a champ.

Regardless of what jet you use... it should idle. So, either the jets are clogged, you have a bent needle or there is some other underlying carb issue.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

What about the float level ???
santod

Post by santod »

I finally got around to taking the carb apart. The floats were in pretty bad shape I must of bent them rushing putting the carb back together. Anyway I made the proper adjustments and it idles again.

thanks all
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

with this hot humid weather I have found the CGM-3 to work very well with a 42 pilot and 158 main it keeps the 1/4 to 3/4 lean and gives the bike plenty of top end power with the extra fuel from the 158 with out being two rich. with the humid dusty conditions air flow changes fast. I am still riding just in the early to morning to noon. the temps start around 77 at 6:30 and by 9 its up in the high 80's humid enough that the dust sticks to your gear making it look more like mud.

After trying CEL, CEK, CEM, all had to be run -2 with 42 pilot 155 main to have a rich but
smooth powerband in this weather. then playing with the excel spreadsheet I came up with this idea of the CGM needle and larger main and presto good summer set up.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.