Snow Riding???

Got questions? We got answers....
awoodman

Snow Riding???

Post by awoodman »

does anyone keep it real all season long and ride their kdx in the snow and actually enjoy it? If so, what setups are there to ride in the snow? paddle tire?
Kdx Matt

Post by Kdx Matt »

I ride in the snow all the time. I leave my bike alone, (don't do anything to it) you just can't go in any thing over 8-10 inches. But it sure is a blast to do! :grin: I put a pic of me in the snow in my Avatar, but it's hard to see.
~2001 KDX 200~

FMF Power Core 2
Motonation Whaker Hand Guards
MSR Radiator Guards
MSR Skid Plate
And More To Come!!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I've tried it out here with poor results. We have deep, powdery snow with ice under it. Going two miles took a long time and was a great workout. coming down hills was a lesson in how fast a person can fall with zero warning, up hills was all about momentum. If you lose it, turn around and try again. I thought about putting 1/4" sheet metal screws in some of the knobs, so the hex heads would bite in a little, but never actually did it. I just admitted defeat and went skiing. :lol:
Last edited by Colorado Mike on 06:40 pm Aug 06 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
mattR

Post by mattR »

Studded tires when the snow gets deep (6+ inches). Also might use an old tube zip tied around the carb, run the carb vent/drain tubes into the airbox, and front rotor guard to keep these things from icing up or getting packed with snow. Winter hand guards are nice. I don't think the KDX has enough juice for grip heaters?

Lots of tire choices ranging from DIY ice screws or auto studs to manufacturer studded winter tires. I have the Michelins and they are great. Don't know anything about this store, but if you are curious what they look like it was an easy google hit.

http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.m ... y_Code=SWT
97 KDX 220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I think CC has grip heaters, but I think he also has a hotter coil. There used to be a product called Hippo hands , that was a big vinyl sleeve that had like fake fur inside for street bikes, the Seattle cops all had them, the would be perfect as long as you remebered to pull your hands out in a crash.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

yea ive tried it here but I slip and slide all over the place...we have some brutal winters, but ill bet its nothing compared to colorado...
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

come on everyone, hasn't ANYONE heard?

all you do is buy special ice racing screws (pretty mutch sharp hex screws) and put them in your tires (you can see pictures on goole type in motorcycle ice racing tires) and find a nice lake with over six inches (six is almost pushing it) of clear solid ice and take a four wheeler (or a truck if it is thick enough) and plow out a circle. you can have 1/4 or 1/2 mile, and its dang good fun. i have one pic of my dad, brother, and i. i can put more in if u want. :wink:

ya, one of my dads friends races professionally up in canada, and won the open pro with an old kx 500 and hauls a$$. oh, also, not to mention, he's sixty-three. :shock: :mrgreen:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... I used to ride in the snow... no special setup or jetting, just ride it as it always was... stock. I was 15 and back then trick parts didn't exist. No one thought about fork spring rates, jetting, tire or anything. We just rode....

Today, my bone ache from past injuries and the cold only makes that worse. So, no I don't ride the snow anymore... rather I work on my bikes and concentrate on paying the high heating bills and get all I can out of it. :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "