Looking for info on dune riding

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

Looking for info on dune riding

Post by KDXer »

Just been given an opportunity to do some riding at some pretty big dunes and surrounding beaches. I was wondering what you guys would recommend as far as jetting and tyres in general ?? I guess a step up on the main may be in order but what about pilot ?? Is a paddle nessecary or could I get away with my knobbie ?? Thanks for any advice you can offer as I haven't ridden dunes before (I have ridden alot of deep sand) and all the guys I'm going with are on 660 and 700 Raptors.

Cheers,
Trev...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You need a paddle. I've ridden with both (knobs/paddle). A knob is a waste of time.

Generally speaking, 2-clicks up on everything from a good woods setting.

One step on the main? Probably not. I run around 40/150 @ 2000'. For the sand I'd run a 165 or so. Pilot isn't much of an issue. Start rich, go down.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

Paddle! Even a soft terrain tire is useless in soft powdery sand -- well, maybe not useless because you can kick up a lot of roost as you dig the hole you'll be stuck in. If the sand is really "fine gravel" you may be able to get away with the knobby for a day.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Damn I don't even have a 165. :evil: :cry: :evil:

Most of the guys that are going are only running knobbies but it looks like my jetting wont even cope.

I'm running RB Airstriker 152/40 CEK-3 A/S 7/8 and I sent all my jets to CFSPAWN, Do you think I should sit this one out ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

doing 3/4 to full throttle is hard on the bike as you know. Most of the time is alot of constant high throttle in the dunes. I rode my kdx this past weekend on my first dirtbikeing trip. WE got to a 5 mile straight. As we were coming back my bike started to die. But it never did, the plug just got very carboned up and i ended up switching it.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

If your going with people running knobbies then by all means don't miss out on the ride. A paddle would be better but I ride the St Anthony Dunes once or twice a year and I just use a knobby. (fine dry sand does limit the bike- but it is still fun - momentum is everything - power on - weight back - forget the front brake)

FWIW - If your jetting at full throttle is close now (and your riding is going to be at the same elevation and temperatures or higher elevation and temperatures) - leaving some color at the base of the insulator - I think a 158-160 MJ and bump up the PJ one size just because you look like your close now. CC is correct that you should start rich and lean it down and definately has much more experience dune riding a KDX than I do - but if you haven't riden dunes - I don't want you to miss out!! Everyone should try riding dunes at least once. Beg/borrow/steal the jets you need!!!! :grin: :grin:

Ryan - Sounds like your rich somewhere in your jetting. 5 mile stretch or high speed 3/4 throttle to full throttle? Or 5 mile stretch of part throttle (1/2 throttle) maintaining a high speed?
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

OK well I managed to track down a paddle and some jets. I had a great time but am too sore to type lol. Will update later. :blink:

A BIG THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD !!