200 vs. 220

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:You asked about KXs..

Ski had a KX250 that he got along with great..his previous ride a KDX220. Suspension was setup for woods riding, an EFM autoclutch worked VERY well on the KX.
Actually, I was asking about the KDX 250. Just the same, thanks for the feedback!

Was the KX250 motor and the KDX250 identical, or was the KDX250 motor a "detuned" KX250 motor?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

I've got a mostly stock 220 -- front springs changed, Weisco piston, jetting adjusted and snorkel gone but that's it right now. I love the low end vs my buddies lightly modded 200 but both are easy to ride -- they just have a slightly different technique.

I wasn't set on the 220 when I was looking but that's the one I found relatively close by and in almost perfect shape. I looked at quite a few bikes but I was pretty insistent on STOCK so I know exactly what's been done and that's it's done right (not by some guy who knew some guy who lived next to a guy that used to race/wrench) -- but that's just me.

IMO you can't go wrong with either one for years of getting you "out there" AND back. Just remember the 220 will need a little work so you don't end up with a very expensive paper weight.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry..I misread the 250 part.

The motors (KX/KDX) are not identical. That based on what I've been told or read. I couldn't tell you all of what's different. I'd hope the transmissions are different (understood that's not the 'motor', but it is rather attached..).

Both KDXs, the 200/220 are good bikes. It's more a difference in 'attitude' 'tween the two. Guess that fits the 'technique' part.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Kdx Matt

Post by Kdx Matt »

The 220 has more torque than the 200, but the 200 has more top end and pulling power. The 220 can be made better (so I've been told) by putting 200's carb on it. The KDX 250 was only made for a few years, the problem I was told with it was it actually had less power than the 200 does. Either way the point is to have fun, eh? :grin: :grin:

I guess I would look for a bike that has been well maintained by some one who knew what they were doing.
~2001 KDX 200~

FMF Power Core 2
Motonation Whaker Hand Guards
MSR Radiator Guards
MSR Skid Plate
And More To Come!!
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I have an odd 220 unlike many of the members here. I would only say this because most seem to run the mods of the RB designs kind, and for good reason they get good results.
my 220 was modified by Freddette Racing the cylinder was plated and ported for woods riding, the head was milled and carb bored out to 36mm. (engine was assembled by FRP) cost was 1200 for all the work.
other mods are new med seat foam, boysen reeds FMF woods or torque pipe with turbine core 2 silencer. stock suspension has been re-valved and sprung. The only thing left to do is putting a KX front end on it and an auto clutch.

I ride with guys on new modified Yama's Kawi's and KTM's the 220 is great, most forgiving, hill climbing, tight woods machine, I have ever ridden. If I had a choice between the 200-220 I wood base it on price and condition. IF I had a choice of whom I would have do mods it would be RB designs there is just a ton more customer support as far as shared R&D on the mods.

don't get me wrong I love the way my bike runs and would not trade it. I got a great deal on it, 2 grand, everything had just been done and never ridden in the woods, I had to drive 1000 miles round trip to get it.

with the mods available you can make both bikes to close to compare.
( you do have to port the 220 to make both fully modified bikes close)

90%rider 10% bike
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Also dont forget, you can always put a 200 cylinder on a 220 or vice-versa. You can also bore both to 225 :razz: .
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Folks - Thanks a mil for the feedback, pretty good stuff

I can see that I'm going to enjoy participating in this forum
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
cmot

Post by cmot »

If most of us can remember our KDX beginings I'll bet everyone agrees that the KDX was a tremendous entry to light enduros in stock form. The Mags were even using the KDX in shootouts with 250s. Allthough it never did well in stock form they were still very impressed. And with mods it was famous. I remember a Pro enduro held in Hawiee?? That because it was a tight course KDX's took the top three spots and a KDX usually won it. So for someone starting to ride with a son it will be fun and dependable, And will also grow with you. :supz: "POWER TO THE KDX".
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

You can pick up a 220 for a sweet $$ now that Kawi has discontinued selling in the U.S. I bought my first just last fall and my buddy bought an 04' He added a flywheel weight, removed the snorkel and jetted..... That's it! He is new to two-strokes so he needed to detune if you will. I had a KTM 300 and loved the power so I immediately did a bunch of mods that I learned about from this and another forum. I have not and may never do the RB stuff and I am VERY happy with my bike. I ride super technical terrain so I love the bottom end grunt of the 220. I think you would be psyched to get ahold of a new 220, throw a wiseco in it, Pirelli tires and fork springs. Oh yeah, at the very least. Chuck the snorkel and check your jetting. Chances are it will be on the rich side so you may tweak the air screw and raise the clip on the needle. All stuff you can do yourself in one afternoon that will keep you smillin'. It may just get you goin' and you'll spring for a V-Force reed valve, FMF desert pipe, fork re-valve etc. etc.
Check out some of our profiles and you'll get an idea of how crazy you can get. Some folks have put as much into their rigs as they cost alone! I might get an new KTM or Gas Gas if I ever ponder spending that kind of loot. Put a set of bark busters on a new bike like that and your done! Hmmmm. BUT; As you read in some of these replies..... Those things are not that friendly to someone looking to trail ride first and get agro second. I almost held out for a new 300 but I love the way the KDX rides all of the time! Best Trailbike going. You should check out the archives on Trail rider magazine website. They wrote up a great test on the 220 when it debuted. Nuff' said. Go Green!!!!!! :grin:
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

KD-If you like the bike now, YOU WILL LOVE IT with Ron'w Head & Carb Mod. F%$KNIG Bike is a Tractor & pulls up top also. I would rather have more torque than top, since you will ALWAYS need the torque in the woods & Slop, where top end will catapult you into the next section when you hit the tree :rolleyes: :shock:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr