Rear Brake Fade?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX_Kuhn

Rear Brake Fade?

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

How many of you KDXers have experienced brake fade on the trails? I just got back from a weekend and on evey decent of more then 2 miles I lost my rear brakes....at the most inoppertune time! Two endos & one broken clutch level later I say, WTF! :evil:

No other bike I have owned has done this on these same trails. The pads look like they got plenty of life left, fluid is at the correct level, rotor looks fine. They come back and work fine after about fives minutes...so its gotta be brake fade, right? My dads 1993 KDX was coming down the same trails and his brakes were flawless.
2003 KDX220R
1972 Rupp 440!

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Change your brake fluid to a high quality one that can take much higher temps. You probably boiled it, and have millions of little tiny bubbles in it.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDX_Kuhn

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

There is DOT 3,4,5. Would the higher the number equal a higher boiling point...or is that not true? Does anyone know what is stock from the Kaw Plant??
2003 KDX220R
1972 Rupp 440!

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

DO NOT USE 5! However.... You can use 5.1

I think Motul makes the best fluid.....RBF 600 BRAKE FLUID
It far exceeds the standards of DOT 3 and DOT 4, with a dry boiling point of 594 degrees, and wet boiling point of 421 degrees. It's fully compatible with all Dot 3 and Dot 4 fluids....

BTW... moisture is the #1 cause of brake fluid losing ground with it's specified boiling point. You probably have moisture in with your brake fluid.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "