Bike died

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i did a while back but i was toldby many people not to touch it before i was done with the break in. I knew they were to rich and i told me dealer this too. I will admit i didnt know that were that off though. Seems to run pretty good although i only took it out for about 20 seconds. Im gonna ride another 15 tommorow night and see how it rides.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

As I suspected! :grin:

Glad you get it fixed Ryan... now you can go riding....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

You must learn to take CC with a grain of salt as sometimes he forgets to take his medication. :blink: He really does mean well though. :lol:

Seriously though at times it seems he talks in riddles but if you read it a few times you will see he is actually helping in his own cryptic way. If re-reading it still don't work, go grab your grandpa and he'll be able to decode it for you. :wink:

Now get out and ride the thing !!! :supz:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i would but i have to leave for work and i dont get back untill 7pm.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

just curious how much throttle does it take for you all to get your bike one one wheel. I am still breaking it in and only going 1/3 but i wasnt sure if it would be up in the air with only that much throttle.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ok well i took it for a ride today. This is the 5th time its been riden in the break in process.

I have one question. When i am on the throttle not staying in a constant rpm the bike runs nice, it's very smooth and makes the noise that it makes when it is running smooth. It makes it when i accelerate. The one doubt i may have about it running right is when i stay at a constant Rpm. It doesnt matter the gear i am in. It runs kind rough a bit. It makes a poping noise or a crakling noise. That is the best i can describe it. I know 2 strokes do this bike it makes the bike run rough. It only does it when it a constant rpm so i am guessing it can be fixed. Any idea's??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... don't do that.

Don't run at a consistant throttle speed... vary it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

so the bike is suppose to do that??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

alright i went for a quick ride again after my dad took it for a ride. I wanted a second opinion. Anyway he said it had very poor throttle response and not very good acceleration. So i took it for a ride again to try to figure out the problem. I discovered a few things maybe you all can help me with.

First i cant kick over the bike while its in first very easily, is this normal? It kinda moves forward. I didnt put new plates in or anything.

Second i rode it again and i also realized that the throttle response was very minimal. I could not get it to do a wheelie bigger than like 6-12 inches and most of the time it wouldnt wheelie at all.

Ok this is a full description to so that you know what i did to the bike. I put a weisco top end in. New gaskets. I new needle vavle. I put my fmf desert pipe on, stock silencer. A DFII reed cage and thats it. my dealer installed a 145 main and a 42 pilot from a 155 main and a 48 pilot.

I cleaned the top end all up including the kips vavle stuff. I took all the sludge and carbon off of the vavles in there and then reassembled.

Everything else is the same. I am not sure what the problem is. Thanks for any help.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ryan... one thing is evident.

YOU SHOULD NOT BE BREAKING IN BIKES!

You completely ignored the procedure. You'll be lucky if your rings seat at all....

Symtoms are jetting still.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

what did i do wrong??? I though i was pretty much done with the break in.

I did 15min. 1/4 the first day. (on my yard, not to hilly but enough to make the engine work a bit).
15min. 1/2 the next day. (on yard)
dealer revved it like i said before.
Dealer did 15 minutes he said of light riding(i told him i was breaking it in)
15min. last night 1/2 throttle (on yard)
20 minutes today of no more than 2/3 throttle in the trails to help the rings seat better. More hills and i tried to make the engine work a bit more so the rings could seat better.
15min. no more than 2/3 throttle. on yard a little while ago.

Thats pretty much 2 hours of breaking it in. Are you suppose to do more?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Where did trying to do wheelies come in then? :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

that came in after the last step. I knew it was feeling kinda underpowered but i didnt want to ruin the top end. So i took it easy for the first two hours. I only tried 3 times but they didnt work very well. I stopped after that because i didnt want to mess anything up. I was only trying to do wheelies at about 2/3 maybe 3/4 throttle. I thought it would be enough.
I took off the only part of the kips you can take off without taking out the motor.
The cover of the right side. With the three bolts holding it on. I think that was adjusted one notch over from where it was suppose to be. There is a white line that is suppose to line up with the dot. I was one spot over to far. So i realgined it. I am going to start the bike tommorow and see if that did anything.

2 questions.
1 if the kips was adjusted wrong would that be a likely cause for no power? And 2 could that be what is making it run rough?? thanks

Also how much more should i do for this break in??
Should i just take it easy on this first tank of gas. I would say i still have a bit over a half of a tank
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Did you adjust the airscrew out to get a high idle and then screw it back in a 1/4 turn? And if so, how many turns out is it?

Where is your needle sitting notchwise?

It's all in your jetting Ryan....

The KIPS generally takes care of itself... the claw only goes on in one position and if the valve is closed fully... everything should line up perfectly.

The only thing you can mess up is the sub port drum positions.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i have not touched the airscrew but i will do that today. as far as the needle it is on the second clip.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Ryan the crackle is more likely a rich running condition. don't worry about break in it sounds like your close all thats left know is to ride it hard. but first do your self a favor don't try to tune it in your yard. unless your yard has a 2 mile loop of trails. take all your information and the tools you might need to adjust and a new plug or two, take the bike to the trails or a track that you can ride with out jumping. the KDX is a cold natured bike it takes a good 30 minutes of riding to warm up and if it is to rich on the bottom you sure cant get it to warm up in the yard. all the info you need is in this forum you can start by printing Indawoods sticky on the subject of jetting and take it with you. start with the basics airscrew, Idle, needle position, float level. get tape and mark your throttle when riding glance to see where the throttle is when the bike acts up or makes a strange sound. go back to your info and adjust. what ratio you are running can play an important role in how the bike is running with the current jetting.
I understand your confusion and impatience , this cant be done the in one try, it will take a little time to dial it in. If the guys info at "YOUR SHOP" does not sound close to the info you get off this forum then don't go there. further more your dealer can only get close its still up to you to get it tuned to your liking.

Now any body wanting to rip on me about break in . Break in is like excuses every body has one and they're all different. the main issue RYAN
IS NOT!! to run it at a constant speed or RPM for an extended period like 15 minutes or 2 miles while the engine is fresh. for 30 years I have put together engines or bought new ones and done a start up run and cool down then run it hard but not constant for the first tank and never had any ring seat or compression problems long term or short. and im sure others have many varying ways they break in theres.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ok, i am going to go take the bike out for a ride and then do a compression test. I rode it for 10 minutes and did a test but it is not to my liking so i am going to warm the bike up more and then do it. AS far as the plug, it is pretty black. The ring around the outside is clean but the center is black. So i am going to ride it around again with a new plug and see what happens. I will let you all know what my compression is when i get back. The air screw is out about 1 5/8 of a turn out from being seated.

I will make sure i ride it hard.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The 'crackle' term used is an attempt to describe a 4-stroking 2-stroke.

It is completely normal, indeed, it had better happen.

You can jet that 'crackle' out..and engine death is then just around the corner.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i know some is normal but i have had 3 people say the bike doesnt sound right. Yes... they know what it should sound like. I went to Napa and picked up 5 plugs. I am going to go riding in about 2 hours and i will let you all know. How long should i ride before a compression test?? thanks
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

To operating temp (read k-ski's post?)

Check with the throttle wide open.

'Checking' a plug after a '10 minute ride' isn't telling you much of anything.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!