Hands full of blisters!

Got questions? We got answers....
chris_psmith

Hands full of blisters!

Post by chris_psmith »

Had my 220 out on Sunday for the second time in anger, two hour race, both hands covered in blisters again (tried different gloves this time but same result), anyone got any tips apart from getting new hands with proper skin?
Never had the same amount of problem on my 200, main difference was the rake angle of the handlebars, much more 'easy rider' on the 200, left the 220 steep to try and force me to keep my elbows up.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

It sounds to me that maybe you're not used to your new bike yet and ride too tense
I have read somwhere the following tip:
"Try to relax your grip and ride more with your knees.":mrgreen:
I had the same problem along with some nasty arm pump and "handlebar vibration"
I try now to ride more with my knees (easier said than done...) and it helped a lot :supz:

Wilf
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

if you get a steering damper, you'll probably find that you grip the bars a good bit more loosely.

In conjunction with that, get a real cheap post hole digger and dig about 50 a night.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I wear SKIN SAVERS, under my gloves. They are made by SEAL SAVERS.
Also, I would adjust the bars as you have them on your 200.. Also, what grips are you using??
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I agree with the above loosen your grip or tape your hands. steering damper helps, I rode a friends KX this weekend with out a damper and my first reaction was to stop and see if there was something wrong with the tire or steering stem. take a set off extremely bent bars and ride with them for an hour or so that will teach you to use your knees more.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

Thanks for the advice, had a look on the seal savers web site and they have palm savers that cover 6 of the blisters I got at the weekend, just leaving the 2 on the back of my thumbs, but the thumb savers may fix that!
As to riding to tense, sounds right to me and need to try and relax, but need more practice.
Bike is fitted with ProGrip grips at the moment and look about ready to be changed.
Riding more with the knees is a new one on me, I will give it a go next outing.
Steering damper is way too expensive for me at the moment.
Final one on handlebar angle, what is the recommendation on angle, if you can be bothered have a look at the photos in the gallery of my bike? I would like to keep them steep as it has improved the angle of my elbows, but maybe too steep?
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

I use the Renthal soft half waffle grips with safety wire

I use the MSR CR high bend bars

I turned my upper and lower bar clamps around 180 deg. to move the bars 1/2" forward and slightly upward on the bike. This helped my elbow position, and makes me move slightly more forward for turns and such.

I am 5 10" and felt a bit cramped with the stock set up. I also don't ride with my thumb knuckles jammed into the rubber "flappy" part of the grip.
FAZ
chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

Had a good 2.5 hour race on sunday with the palm savers, worked a treat despite not looking like much, have turned the handlebar mounts round to try and get me forward, completely forgot the knee steering bit and ended up with just blisters on my thumbs, will send off for some thumb savers now.
In summary, can fully recommend the palm savers. :grin:
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Yeah, they work good
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Forget that crap dude...man your issue is your WAY to tense...Thats all. Man when your on a bike, RELAX, dont be so damn afraid of it...Your only goin to be kissing dirt if you are irresponsible, or you dont know your limits. Ive had several biks, all with totally different handle bars, and never ONCE had a blister problem.

Allz you have to do is relax and take er eazy. Remeber if your tense and gluded to the damn bike, your going to hurt yourself more when you DO wipe out. And lest we forget, when your tense, your more stressed out and more more prone to make mistakes....thats my opinion...CHEERS!
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I agree with motorhead220. When I started to ride again, I use to have blister on both hands and sometime blisters under the blisters! (I'm dead serious)
Then a wise man told me to relax my grip and ride more with my knees.
I am more comfortable on the bike now and more relaxed because I know what the bike can do. I still get a blister every once in awhile when I push myself harder than usual but nothing like before.

Wilf
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Just ride more and build up some good callouses :supz:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think the way to look at it is... Look for the cause before you put a band-aid on it. No pun intended... yes there was. :cool:

Get the KX forks... makes the biggest difference and the most bang for the buck. Next is a stabilizer.

You need to have confidence in your frontend and your abilities... That's what it boils down too.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

A wise man told me that I should think about pushing the right handlebar to turn left instead of pulling the left handelbar to turn left. Got rid of arm pump and lobster claw hand (mucho fatigue) with one technique.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I use both arms in unison... :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've always pulled the bar in to turn. Never really thought about pushing the opposite bar. Good Tip!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I use both arms in unison.
I used to. All it did was get me tired. The pulling required hand strength as well as bicep and forearm work.

When I push the opposite grip, all I am using is is tricep and pec, for the most part.

I doubted him... I tried it over several rides... it works.

Sometimes I can't use that technique as much as I'd like. (when the trail is very tight, technical and bumpy), but usually I can. He says he uses it all the time.

Rick
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

if u guys are trying to steer your bike in the "easiest" and most comfortable, least physically exerting way...then im a bit dumfounded as to why even bother riding a dirtbike...tho i would assume that that little technique DOES help, in the heat of the moment, when your flying down the trails, you dont or at least i dont think about the easiest way to turn a corner, i just do it...

Remember, ya'll are drive DIRTBIKES...and this sport happens to be the most physically exerting sport in the world, next only to Soccer.

So if you dont wanna get tired, or get sores, bumps, scrapes and bruises, then stay off the bike...thats my opinion...your not on the things to ease about looking at the passionate medows, if thats the case, get a 4 stroke pig an plug along :grin:

But again thats all My opinion...CHEERS!!! :supz:
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I don't have the blister problem, I use it for comfort. The callous can get a bit sore & have seen guys, with them ripped off there hand after a long ride. Looks painful & is.
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

If u guys are trying to steer your bike in the "easiest" and most comfortable, least physically exerting way...then im a bit dumfounded as to why even bother riding a dirtbike...
You are probably unaware that your post wasn't particularly helpful to anyone, right?

Technique is King. Someone who advocates not pursuing proper form is not to be taken seriously in this instance.

Rick