Running weird.

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Running weird.

Post by Ryan »

WEll i wont be able to get on the computer again untill tommorow night but i will ask now anyway. I got my forks on put in radiator fluid and started the bike.

The first problem i had was fuel was like coming really fast out of the overflow. I didnt have time to take it apart as i was doing it before work... yes i work. :cool: . Anyway when i got home i clean out the carb again, checked for stuck floats and reassmbled. It didnt leak when i put it back together. After i turned it off it started to leak again though. So then i turned it on once more to do the first 10 minutes of the break in process.

The one thing i noticed was that the bike was very rough running at low rpm's. It was fine at mid but horrible at low, it would bog and put out alot of white smoke.

Im thinking the problem is still the floats. I think the float level is too high putting to much gas into the carb, when i am at low speed the engine bogs and puts out white smoke because too much fuel is getting into the engine. Am i correct or am i way off? If i am correct all i have to do it adjust the floats to rest a bit more down so their is less fuel in the carb right??

thanks for any help.

By the way, the bike started 2nd kick cold, no choke, after a new top end was put on. Was anyone elese able to do it in one? Just curious. :supz:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

When the carb overflowed you should have checked the float height then. It's not a make it a little lower thing.... It's a measure thing.

Also check your float needle and seat for wear and gunk.

White smoke sounds like water. Are you sure you torqued the head bolts correctly?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How apart has this bike been over the past six (only six?) months?

White is water.

It's leaking.

If you have antifreeze in it, you will smell it. Don't have AF in it? PUT

some in. THEN you'll smell it.

A whatnot just for you:

'am i way off?'

Yep.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well i took my carb to the dealer, it was a combination of two things. One the float level was off and two the needle had a wear mark around it causing it to seal incorrectly and overflow

Re: am i way off???

Re:Yep.

Re: obviously i wasnt :wink:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

it was not a good thing cause i had to pay $17.95 for a new needle valve!!!!
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

did that fix it?

If so, that ain't such a bad thing.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

If you really had "white smoke" you will still have white smoke. Too much fuel does not cause "white smoke". Get her running strong and crisp and check for the dreaded white smoke. If she is blowing white smoke do not put off getting the problem fixed.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

When getting white smoke where does it ussually mean its leaking, thru the head or gasket somewhere or bottom end?
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well it fixed the fuel leaking out of the overflow problem. The smoke is not white but maybe more of a grey. I put the carb on the bike and ran it with a new plug. It idles a bit higher than before i changed out the needle and now the bike is not smooth in any part of the rpm range. I cant figure out what is wrong. The float level is correct but i still dont know what the problem could be. I think im gonna take it to the shop next week so that way i can ride, thanks for all your help.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Cfspawn - normally it is the head (or head gasket area) that leaks. Combustion gas pressure verses improperly torqued head, over stressed head bolts/studs or a damaged sealing gasket can be the basis for trouble.

On an engine which has been in service quite a while the head stay to frame mount can also contribute to the head leaking due to stresses associated with frame flex and vibration induced stress which is transmitted into the head.

I believe most knowledgable people will torque all the lower engine mounts and swing arm and save the cylinder head mount to frame for last to keep the initial head stress point near zero.

I would guess it is unusual for the base cylinder gasket to leak for a variety of reasons - low cooling system pressure only - not a lot of thermal differential - etc.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Ryan, check the intake manifold for leaks & re-torque.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

will do
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i was thinking, the bike was running better before i switched out the carb float needle so i dont think it is an air leak because it would have runeratically before i messed with the carb. It doesnt run eratically now, it is just rough.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250