shifting with or without using the clutch?

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

shifting with or without using the clutch?

Post by scheckaet »

I've seen on a post that some of you are not using the clutch when shifting :blink:
isn't that going to kill the gearbox? :shock:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I've used mine since I was 7 years old.... not about to change now. :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

yeah i quick shift only at higher speeds not at take off :supz:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I rarely use it up shitfting but reguarly use it down shifting.

I use it for up and down shifting if I'm just plodding along.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I've always been surprized when this topic comes up. Seems like alot of people never use the clutch except for taking off. I've talked with many experienced riders who only claim to use the clutch for take-off, feathering the power on a uphill, and/ or fanning it coming out of a tight curve. Otherwise they claim to upshift and downshift without the engaging the clutch. Also they normally claim no ill consequences.

I always use the clutch for upshifting and downshifting - well at least 99.5% of the time. There may be a time or two a year where I climbing something that is very steep (or unexpected) and I'll downshift without the clutch prior to the motor stalling but it is more of a survival thing.

I'am like Indawoods - been using it too long to change my technique. Even if I have poor technique. :partyman:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

It's not really needed for shifting on a seqential (bike) trans. It will be needed to shift under power (WOT "Power Shift"). The trans in a car is a different story....

Some racing (shifter) karts just have a switch to short the spark momentarily to shift under full power w/o clutch. F-1 and ferrari paddle type sequential tranmisions work this way as well.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've always been surprized when this topic comes up. Seems like alot of people never use the clutch except for taking off. I've talked with many experienced riders who only claim to use the clutch for take-off, feathering the power on a uphill, and/ or fanning it coming out of a tight curve.
That's me! :wink:

No....not the 'experienced rider' part...the 'don't use the clutch much' part.

Like Fuzzy said, in a constant-mesh trans I don't see that it matters. That doesn't mean I jump up and down on the shift lever to force anything. I generally let off the throttle enough to unload the trans (upshifting) and don't downshift with the back wheel driving the transmission.

I probably wouldn't do that on a 4-stroke..a lot more torque involved. As long as you're paying attention to torque it would still be OK.

Besides, I use Valvoline in my gearbox..and it's the choice of champeens. It can take it. :shock:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

No expert here but when I'm in need of a quick shift due to terrain or going in or out of of a quick turn, I rarely use the clutch. I just reduce throttle and click away.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R