KDX 200 clutch question

Got questions? We got answers....
eram310

KDX 200 clutch question

Post by eram310 »

2 months ago I posted a question about the clutch. Mine was dragging when the clutch lever was pressed. (When engine was on or off)

As lame as it is, I only got to check it out this weekend after purchasing the shop manual.
I adjusted the cable and the actuator according to the spec and I changed transmission oil and even replaced clutch lever, because the original was a little bent.

Started the bike and ran it a little bit, the good news, the clutch is not dragging anymore.
Turned off the bike, put it in first gear, press the clutch lever all the way in and the rear is locked. Turn on the bike in neutral, put it in first, and the rear is free. I can push the bike around in first when the clutch is pressed, just like it’s neutral.

My question, is this normal? What if I stall the bike on the trail? (Which happens lot) Do I have to find neutral and then kick start? It’s almost impossible to start the bike in 1rst with the clutch lever pressed.

Thanks,
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Not normal. You should be able to start the bike in gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

Normally it is slightly easier to kick start the bike in neutral than when it is in a gear i.e. slightly easier to spin the motor over. Also normally is is easier to push the bike around in neutral then when its in gear with with the clutch pulled in - if the engine is not running.

The way you described pushing the bike around in first with the clutch lever pulled in, I was not sure if the engine was running or not. If the engine is running it seems to me bikes are about the same to push around whether in neutral engine not running; or in gear with the engine running and the clutch pulled in.

Clutch disc slightly hanging up due to grooving on clutch basket? Clutch plates tending to stick together and not releasing from one another due to oil or glazing related problem?
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
eram310

Post by eram310 »

When the bike is not running in first gear and the clutch pulled the rear is completely locked. When the bike is running, in first gear and the clutch is pulled the rear wheel is completely disengaged.

So I guess I have to open the clutch cover.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
eram310 wrote:When the bike is not running in first gear and the clutch pulled the rear is completely locked. When the bike is running, in first gear and the clutch is pulled the rear wheel is completely disengaged.

So I guess I have to open the clutch cover.
It's fairly normal for the bike to not move easily when not running. in 1st and the clutch is engaged. Seems to vary as to whether it barely moves or doesn't move at all.

As long as it moves freely when running and you have the correct clutch freeplay, it sounds fine.

Tony
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Eram310 - might want to get some more feedback prior to opening the clutch cover but I just went to the shed and pulled out 2 TTR125s, 1 380 EXC and 1 KDX 200 and was able to push all four over a grass surface in gear with the clutch lever pulled in without the rear tires being locked up. (There is more drag than pushing with the bike in neutral but the rear tires turn and do not skid on the grass.) Thought I better verify what I had stated since I normally don't push the bikes in gear with the clutch lever pulled unless it is out of a creek bed or some such thing.

The other thing is you should be able to stall the bike in any gear and restart the engine by pulling in the clutch lever and kicking the engine over. To me this would be the bigger issue than pushing the bike in gear.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
eram310

Post by eram310 »

"The other thing is you should be able to stall the bike in any gear and restart the engine by pulling in the clutch lever and kicking the engine over. To me this would be the bigger issue than pushing the bike in gear."

This is the issue, I just wanted to clarify the problem to others by describing the pull clutch push bike description.