Fork service question

Got questions? We got answers....
crazybrit

Fork service question

Post by crazybrit »

I just got some XR springs which I was going to install -- already have the forks off the bike as I was replacing the steering head bearings.

It's a 98 and the old fork oil was a sad sad looking grey color. I read a few times recommendations (for bikes this old with crappy old oil) to dissasemble the fork and clean out the old goop fully.

I made myself a holder and have a 14mm allen but how likely is it that I'll need to replace seals/etc? The manual says to replace all seals and bushings when reassembling. I like the idea of doing a good job re: cleaning but.......

Tony
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Lots of replies, 'eh?

You don't have to take the forks 'apart' (separate the tubes) to get the cartridge out. You can clean out the junk just fine with only taking the cartridge out and leaving the tubes together.

IF you do take the tubes apart, expect to replace the sliders...and might as well replace the oil and dust seals if you go to all that trouble.

Take the cartridge out by removing the base valve. After you remove the cartridge you can thread base valve back in whilst you swish around your choice of cleaning agent.

Of course...if you get aftermarket fork seals, make sure they come with the OEM spec'd dust seal!

..thass'a joke...

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Lots of replies, 'eh?

You don't have to take the forks 'apart' (separate the tubes) to get the cartridge out. You can clean out the junk just fine with only taking the cartridge out and leaving the tubes together.
Thanks for the reply CC, appreciated.