Jet Questions.

Got questions? We got answers....
cfspawn

Jet Questions.

Post by cfspawn »

Hi all.
just a question on carb jet numbers.. I am running a 152 Main and 48 Pilot and looking to richen the main jet. does this mean i need to go to a higher number? so bigger number means bigger hole in jet which means more fuel? or is it visa versa? also what does the number on the needle signify? mine is running a R1172 Needle but FMF recommend running a R1173 Needle does this mean it will be a fatter needle to Lean it ?..... its all too much :-)
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Bigger numbers are richer jets. IMHO the stock R117x needles are a waste of time. If your going to switch needles get a CGK from sudco and run it in the #1 or #2 clip. The difference is nothing short of amazing...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Sweet thanks morie. still would love to know what the needle numbers meant just for future reference
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Check this link out cfspawn and see if it helps clear up the needle confusion.

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/jetneedles.html
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Thanks again morie.
Do you know who supplies CGK needles and what ones suit kdx carbs. ?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

CGK is just one needle that fits the Keihan PWK 35mm carb that your E series KDX has. The letters CGK describe the needle taper, length of straight section and needle diameter at the magic spot. CC is a whole lot better at explaining the magic behind the needle selection than I am, but by changing the different values you can change the personality of the bike in a number of very dramatic ways. Sudco sells Keihan needles here in the US but i'm not sure about the other side of the pond. Maybe Trev can help you locate somebody down there how stocks them.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sudco sells Keihin parts..including needles...including the CGK.

There isn't a 'what ones' question. A CGK needle will fit in your Keihin small body PWK.

Yes, a 'fatter' needle will lean some things, but there is considerably more to needles than how fat they are.

A BTW, but if the issue of slides ever comes up, you want a slide for an AIR STRIKER carb. If you order a slide for a 'small body PWK', you won't get the right slide.

Well, you won't get the LEFT slide, either, but you WILL get the incorrect slide! :rolleyes:

A further BTW....considering shipping/handling charges from Sudco, you might consider a couple of other things that you will appreciate somewhere along the line. Get a needle clip (or two). A one-each clip from your local hardware store will NOT fit! When the clip goes Z-I-N-G-! and you can't find it, you will be glad you have a spare. Those clips have a particular name for a particular reason..but the saying of such includes profanity and the breaking of one of the 10 Commandments...so we won't do that here!

A needle holder nut would be a good thing to have on hand. Being hollow they crush quite easily (usually if installed incorrectly or if the wrong tool is used on 'em). You will be glad to have a spare if that happens, too!

Oh...put that holder in the slide with anti-seize!

M0rie: Did you ever try the 'D' slopes on a #5 slide?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Seens my bike is playing up something cruel i think ill just go with the standard needle size which fmf recommend just to see it it helps as my bike suffering power wise in high revs seems to me that it running to lean, at full throttle makes alot of revs and noise by power! anyway i am running a 150 main jet gonna bump it up to a 158 and keep my pilot at 48 i am also gonna replace my float needle as well just to make sure
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

No Power Not By Power :lol:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

By the numbers you post I assume you have a 200?

What other modifications/changes/setups?

What's the el. of Hobart Tas? (..like, I know where that is.......some island south of Austrailia or something.......)

(sic)

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yes CC, he has a 91 200.
FMF Fatty pipe and FMF PCII, stock jetting, airbox lid drilled running 32:1.
Elevation would range from sea level to 1000ft max.

Yeah it's sorta like Mexico but the border is a bit harder to cross. :wink:

Just curious... If Spawns carbys needle seat is worn is the carby good as gone (say that 5 times quickly) ?? Am I right in thinking he could use my H model carb as a direct replacement ?? If thats the case, that would mean a RB modified Airstiker would bolt straight up also. Hint, hint Chris. :wink: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think they are a direct replacement.... But I think you could almost buy another 91 KDX for what a Airstryker would cost. (At least here in the states) If I had an extra carb... I would send it to ya... But I don't... so I won't. :sad:

Maybe we could help a brother out and take up a collection and send him a CGK needle? :partyman: Should be able to go in a plain fortified envelope....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'If good as..'

While I'm sure it could be that bad, why would it be? Someone stuck a phillips screwdriver up the hole and gave it a whirly?

I don't get the connection between jetting questions/issues and putting in a new float needle for GP. Are the two things thought related somehow?

If the float needle seat is in question, certainly give it a good burnish job before you off the carb.

This IS a PWK, then? Pipe is on the right, choke on the left?

Sea level with a 150 main? I'm surprised it isn't seized already. But, you say that's stock? I know somewhere 'back there' the KDX was jetted a whole lot different...port timed a whole lot different, too, I think?

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

150 main was spec for a 91 KDX 200. The H series PWK will work without issues but your 33mm 220 carby is going to choke the snot out of that 200.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

I definitly will go the larger jets and see what happens guys. Thank you all for your help.
Keep in mind this problem i have had since i put the new pipe and silencer on. if trev wants to see me his carb then ill have it!! but i might try a couple of jets first and barnish the needle seat. Also how do i check if the float jet is worn? im sure its in the manual just to lazy to read it. Thanks CC, Indawoods, Trev, Morie for all your help.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Pull the float needle out and check the profile of the rubber tip. It should be a smooth triangle with no ridge halfway up the triangle. If there is a ridge its time to replace the float needle.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Oooohhhh....'too lazy to read..' is not good! :shock:

If this is something that started with the pipe install then the chances of it being jetting related are about perfect.

Your comment of 'revs but no power' certainly can be a lean thing.

TUNE the darn thing already!! :wink:

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Sending jets to experiment with tomorrow. :wink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What a nice guy! :bravo:

I wouldn't send jets south of MY border ('Sort of like Mexico', he said).
Well, some 115C Eagles maybe. I wouldn't mess with Raptor F22As. They couldn't see a rock coming, let alone an F15. A handful of daisy cutters on random evenings dropped in random deserted desert areas would be good. To heck with 'fences'..'virtual' or otherwise.

Consider the source

cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

:wink: :supz: yeah the float needle looks perfect. one less thing to replace for the moment..