riding with a bad water pump gasket ???

Got questions? We got answers....
beeds3000

riding with a bad water pump gasket ???

Post by beeds3000 »

Well I just found out that my water pump gasket is most likely bad because after a short ride my fresh oil turns milky. but all my buddies and I are going riding on Tuesday the fourth, but none of the shops are open until the 5th. so If I bring a few things of oil and just change it like every hour or so do you think I would be ok ???
Geoff T. Biderman
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You should be fine...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

It does not take much antifreeze or water to turn the oil milky. My concern is what the heck are you going to do with the wasted oil (milky oil) out on the trail? Catch it and put it back into plastic bottles to be transported home - yeh right!

If your radiator coolant level is not dropping significantly in an 3-4 hours of riding I would not attempt to change out the oil on the trail. If it is dropping significantly then park the bike until it can be fixed.

If you decide you must ride then ride the bike then change out the oil at the end of the day and drop the coolant out of the bike at the same time to prevent further contamination. A little water in the oil while you are running will not cause oxidation of your high carbon steel components within your tranmission but if you leave it in the bike while it is sitting still (like parked for a day or two) oxidation will start to take place.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
beeds3000

Post by beeds3000 »

I was going to change the oil when we were back at the truck eating lunch, just catch it in a one gallon milk jug. and bring it home.
Geoff T. Biderman
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Well beeds3000 I owe you, and offer you - an apology for my smart ass remark - Please accept it.

I would say if your radiator overflow catch jar doesn't drop more than 1/4 during your first half of the ride you liikely don't need to change the oil until your done riding. I'am no expert in lubication properties of oil and antifreeze but I've seen many bikes that have sucked water and leaked antifreeze into the transmission oil and did not suffer any long term affects. Big thing in my mind is to not let it sit for an extended period prior to draining out the contaminated oil.

Have fun on your ride - meanwhile I will be painting a laundry room. :sad:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
beeds3000

Post by beeds3000 »

I didn't think it was a smart ass comment, I actually wrote that saying, I would change it in the parking lot but I prob. was just gonna go back in the woods and let the quart out on the ground, (hey it comes from the ground to begin with just putting it back from where it came from right ???) but ya we rode for 7 hours didn't loose any coolant and it ran fine I never even changed the oil !!!
Geoff T. Biderman
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

how the hell do you get the pressed bearing out of the side cover safley its the only way you can get to the seals