Subtanks ?

Got questions? We got answers....
krazyinski

Subtanks ?

Post by krazyinski »

Just like to hear your experience or opinion on subtanks .
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My take is.... what's the point on a KDX?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

what IS a sub tank?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They add extra volume to your fork tubes... makes for a more adjustable suspension.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

sounds good? why not put it on a KDX?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you want too... that's fine. I don't think it would be much bang for the buck since the KDX's main purpose is being a woods bike with limited fork travel with the occasional jump here and there.

I guess if you were a class A Harescramble or enduro rider and had sponsors who wanted to fork out the cash for em... sure! Go for it...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:If you want too... that's fine. I don't think it would be much bang for the buck since the KDX's main purpose is being a woods bike with limited fork travel with the occasional jump here and there.

I guess if you were a class A Harescramble or enduro rider and had sponsors who wanted to fork out the cash for em... sure! Go for it...

thats really my point of asking is if you ride like , class A Harescramble or enduro rider then would they benefit. I have air build up after 2 hours of hard riding and the forks get real harsh and being some what tired I forget this happens till I hit the ground from the front washing out or skipping out. the added factor is temp changes from 65 to 95 in 4-5 hours I start with some what good conditions end with sandy,wooped out,rocky,hard pack, slick conditions.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I use fork bleeders: little valve buttons you press to relieve built up air pressure in the forks. They work great! I bleed my forks several times during a ride and it really makes a big difference; especially if you are changing altitude by 1000's of feet during the course of a day's ride. I would recommend bleeders over the subtanks. I read on some forum where a guy built his own subtank. It included photos, materials list, where to get the parts and how to machine them. I think it cost under $100 to build them himself. That might be a fun project if you are into the machining.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The OEM KYBs build pressure up a LOT more than do the USD KYBs.

But, yeah...I have and use bleeders, too.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

"
I use fork bleeders: little valve buttons you press to relieve built up air pressure in the forks.
Sounds like a pretty simple way to improve the stock fork.
Are those bleeders expansive? and where did you get yours?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

MotionPro makes a set that does NOT require retapping the existing hole (where the brass screw is on the top of the fork?). They are a bit tall, but the shorter ones I've seen DO require a different thread.

The MP units work fine. I've had them on for a few years..never a problem with leaking (they have to stay sealed up or you're going to have fork oil all over the place), sticking or anything else.

Cost? Don't recall for sure...round $18 or somesuch?

The difference they made in the OEM KYBs was considerable. I used to think that the bike's underperforming as the day went on was rider-error or fatigue. When I popped in those poppers, I found out different!!

Highly recommended!!

AND..when you strap down your bike, you can use them to take the pressure off the forks...good for seal life.

Consider the source

krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

{The difference they made in the OEM KYBs was considerable. I used to think that the bike's underperforming as the day went on was rider-error or fatigue. When I popped in those poppers, I found out different!!} A HA!! so I am not crazy! this is what happens after about 30 miles or so I thought I was just at my physical limit or every thing just stopped working forks steering damper tires, arms, brain.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I use the bleeders also. I throw the bike on the side stand, pull back to extend the forks and let the air out. I do this before I ride and when ever I feel the action is getting stiff.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Something to consider: You can vary the effective oil level with them too. Want a bit lower level? Push the button with the forks compressed some. Want a bit higher level? Either don't let all the pressure out or at the least push the button with the forks full extended.

Oh...just 'cuz the bleeders work doesn't mean you're NOT crazy.... :wink:

Motion Pro
Pro Bleeder Valve

$22.99

Pro Bleeder allows you to bleed the air from your forks with the push of a button
Fits most Kayaba and Showa upside-down forks with OE bleeder screws (M5x0.8)
Set includes two Pro Bleeder valves with adapters, o-rings and instructions (installed height of 7/8" or 22mm

Yet another State Of Jefferson capitalistic enterprise!!

WoW..Steahly...Pacific Crest...Superstore...Chozen..what a haven for bike stuff!

Consider the source

krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

looked into building subtanks all the parts are only 88$ so I might just do it for the heck of it. mean while the bleeders are a must.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

built the sub tanks out of pvc got the valves from a pneumatic control company installed them upside down so the oil gets sucked back in to the forks. total of about 46 bucks. they really make the front feel stuck to the ground smooths out the ride, any thing under 8"round or square on the ground just disappears.
I am running .40 springs on re-valved OEM forks I might add that I am 160 lb guy. The sub tanks make the forks feel as if the springs are softer, plush ride, front tracks and doesn't hop under heavy breaking in a chopped up corner, woops are a breeze, I played with compression adjustment turned them in 4 clicks and could only tell the difference on the big hits. best 50 bucks and hour of my time spent.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Pretty cool! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Pretty cool. Do you have a materials list for those of us playing the home game?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Sweet! :mrgreen: That's a great price for noticable improvement in handling! :supz:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:Pretty cool. Do you have a materials list for those of us playing the home game?

Try looking for a Pneumatic controls company locally. The main valve is 1/4 onetouch tube X 1/4 NPT meter in, flow control valve with freeflow back. ( The valve must be meter in to the tank free flow back
most comon is meter out free flow in.)
part # NAS3211F-N02-07S. meter in, flow control valve

The 90 is 1/4 tube x 1/8 unifit
#KQ2L07-U01

but from experience get a 1/4 x 10-32 unifit extended elbo #?

The tanks are 1 1/4
SCH40 pvc pipe, a coupling,cap, and 1 1/4 to 3/4 bushing with a brass 3/4 to 1/4 bushing.

( I just built and tested smaller tanks using 1" PVC cost is 7 bucks They work the same but are easyer to mount)

The company I got the valves from is Control Resources out of Salisbury,NC 704-639-0207.

If you want to look pretty you can get yourself a set of the same tanks that aircell racing has for 15-20 a piece they are made by Bimba manufacturing they are called Air Reservoir Tanks.
Bimba part #d-27715-a-4.