Installing Grease Zerks

Got questions? We got answers....
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Installing Grease Zerks

Post by m0rie »

There is a fairly nice writeup on the other site about installing grease zerks on the KDX. This one actually looks like it might work for its intended purpose, as in getting fresh grease to the bearing. Take a look and see what ya'll think.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showth ... p?p=871251

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
jlm1959

Post by jlm1959 »

-Maurice

That is pretty good. I never thougt to put fittings in. I am going to try it to.

question, why does the site you lested in your post say megalomaniacs and it comes up to dritrider.? That dirtrider site is pretty good. I am going to check it out and maybe join.

jon
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Now now now....let's not start any site bashing....

M0rie....take a deep breath!!! ;)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Believe it or not this isn't my doing. You'll have to ask Inda about that one. I recall him making any links to the dirtrider site change to the megalomaniac you see above.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nah... just a software glitch.... :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Indawoods wrote:Nah... just a software glitch.... :lol:
No doubt! :mrgreen:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm reading...and re-reading...and I'm still missing it.

re: 'Method #1-- used for 3 each paired swingarm bearings & 1 each paired bearing in linkage'

***edit** Removed the question...the stupid, idiotic question. Now I'm going to flaggelate myself. ...where's my stack of cane.....??
**edit

re: Method #3 (lower shock)

That might work OK. He's coming in from the side. Don't know if the seals would give enough resistance to push the grease back thru the bearing and out the other side

re: Method #2. (The 'no space between' method) THAT is pretty straightforward.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 01:31 pm Jan 19 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

My 2 cents on the zerks...if anyone cares...anyone?

Taking the rear assy off and greasing by hand only takes about 30 minutes. I know the bearings are full when I do it by hand. I am also inspecting for wear at the same time. Same goes for the steering head. I see that the poster on that other site did approach it in the correct way by making all the cuts etc., and his way will work. I will continue doing it the old fashioned way where I can inspect the parts.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Now now...like the guy said...he didn't want to start the zerk-or-not argument. ;)
Last edited by canyncarvr on 01:37 pm Jan 19 2005, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I can see using both zerks and regular tear down greasing to keep the bearings in good working order.

CC - I'm not sure I follow you on the #1 method. I don't see where he drills the sleeve there at all. I'd think that the space between the bearings would fill with grease, then slide out in the space between the bearing rollers and the sleeve, then exit out the output holes?

Method #3 was the one that I wasn't sure would work.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good! If you DID follow...I would be concerned about you. ;)

Can't say why it wasn't clicking a few minutes ago. It wasn't. The temporary blockage has been removed...seems plain enough now. Well..I do know why..two things I was putting together that are not related.

Anyway. I got it. Thanks.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

So, in conclusion.... is this a viable mod or not?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I am not doing this mod. It is so easy to grease by hand. I must visually inspect the parts, it's just the way I am.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sure. Keeping in mind the whole 'zerk or not' argument...that you don't CLEAN anything without taking it apart, there is no inspection of condition for a couple of things.

Folks that end up taking a sledge and a torch to their swingarm pivot pin don't generally do that because the bearings are stuck to the sleeve but because the sleeve is stuck to the bolt. A grease fitting in the swingarm isn't going to help that a whole lot.

Probably not something you would do with a hand-held drill, 'eh? :wink: Note the lathe, drill press and such in the pics..........

imo and all that.......

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

canyncarvr wrote: Folks that end up taking a sledge and a torch to their swingarm pivot pin...
There you go! Talking 'bout me again! :grin:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think that having a grease fitting is a good idea, but some people use it as a crutch and do not clean their bearings properly. I think it would be wise to not look at it as a way to get out of actually taking apart the assemblies to clean, inspect and regrease the bearings.

A grease fitting is not designed to bridge the gap between how often they should be serviced properly and how often someone WANTS to service them properly.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Forget the zerks... Get in there and see what is going on with your bike. Tear it down, see whats happening to those bearings and races.... makes you become one with your bike. It seems a lot of people look for the easy way out... that's OK I guess... it's your bike. Some people would probably benefit from the zerks, and then again...some wouldn't even grease their bike if the zerks were there! :lol: It's a nice write up but I don't see any real application... except maybe Military where it had to be in service at all times. Let's hope that don't happen! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jlm1959

Post by jlm1959 »

m0rie wrote:Believe it or not this isn't my doing. You'll have to ask Inda about that one. I recall him making any links to the dirtrider site change to the megalomaniac you see above.

-Maurice
I don't get to viset here very often but you guys seem pretty good. I also checked out Dirtrider too and they also seem helpfull. I looked up megalomaniac. I don't see why the owneer of this site would change it to something like that. It is not really a nice thing to do.

jon
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

Indawoods wrote:It's a nice write up but I don't see any real application... except maybe Military where it had to be in service at all times. Let's hope that don't happen! :shock:
I'm not in the military, but my bike is in service all summer ;)

Doesn't everyone else ride every single free day they have in the spring/summer/fall? We do.

Phil
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

jon,
Obviously... you have not met the owner of DRN yet... or else you wouldn't even ask. It's not something you should even bring up here... we are trying to get over it and not stir up old dirt.
All the knowledgeable people that used to be on DRN are here now. Nuff said.

BTW... try mentioning this site over there... see how fast they delete your post!
Last edited by Indawoods on 09:33 am Jan 21 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****