FMF Woods or Desert pipe for my '06 KDX 200?

Got questions? We got answers....
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

i was checking out the jeff fredette site (http://www.frpoffroad.com) and this is what they suggest with pipes...

[quote]I recommend the Gnarly "REV" PIPE for the more experienced rider and all other riders riding in fast terrain with good traction. This pipe will improve performance throughout the power band with the most noticeable hit in the mid-range and up. I recommend the GNARLY "TORQUE" PIPE for the less experienced rider and more technical terrain because it also improves performance throughout the power band but with a more manageable power delivery. [/quote]

also he says that for more low end get the BOYSEN REED VAULVES and also for MORE low end the FRP TORQUE RING will help too.

you can get some pretty good deals on that sight for all different things for your kdx. check it out.
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

ok, and do the boyesen reed petals fit in the stock kdx cage, if the petals are meant for a kdx200? im assuming so...
crazyaboutriding

yep. also that sight tells you what the jetting should be and other stough like suspension mods. you should check it out its a good sight.
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

I have, but I guess not enough...thanks!...and Inda, if i put an FMF pipe on and put boyesen power reeds in, and drill my airbox to vent it, will the jetting combo that you told be still be good? And one more thing...If i buy the FMF Gnarly rev, will it bolt on nicely? or will i have to bend things? because i don't want to have to bend anything...
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Just loosen all the mount bolts and attach the pipe with the springs first. I then tighten the bolts that mount to the frame and finally the pipe. Crazy had some good thoughts on Jeff Fredettes site. I have the torque ring as well. It does make the pipe extend more out but everything still should line up no sweat. remember the sequence for mounting the pipe. Read Indawoods' post on how to test your jetting. Everyone here has taken the time to learn the art. It would be great and easy if every bike was the same but you can only be sure if you check your own.
Trust me, it feels great when you get it down and you say to yourself that you did it all on your own. :partyman:
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

ok, thanks man...
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

No problem. Just to clarify; Inda's recommendation would certainly be a good baseline to start with. Go get a case of plugs (BR8ES) and check that first.
I removed my airbox lid completely and remounted the cdi on the rear fender. I also took advice from Mr. Fredette and cut a piece of inner tube which I zip-tied in the space in front of the airbox to the rectangle shaped opening to the frame. Works great at keeping the trail grit from flying in. I rode 70 miles the other day on a ride that had everything from water that came up to the bottom of the radiators to you name it. The uni-filter still looks fresh.
Actually, if you get some time on your hands and really would like to see what other kinds of tricks Fredette knows you can order a set-up video from him that really is cool. I went through my bike last winter after only riding it a few times that fall. I bought it new. Not much grease or whatever it was anywhere it should have been. You can call Jeff to as he is real cool and very helpful. (he is out of the shop until July 10th so you'll be speaking to his mom. she can still take your order though)
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

ok, great! :supz:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'because i don't want to have to bend anything... '

FmF pipes are famous for lousy fit. If yours doesn't fit hand-in-glove, don't be surprised.

If it's a complete goober, make 'em take it back!!

Yes, that has happened...

The first time you crash on the RH side the pipe alignment likely goes to goobers anyway..so get used to bending things!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
crazyaboutriding

huh, i must have gotten lucky, i haven't had any trouble puting mine on... :boogie:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

nice
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The only thing you should be bending is the pipe itself....

Here's a link on how to do it as posted in a previous post.

https://www.piperepair.com/tips.htm

My FMF's fit fine... others have not been so lucky. If you want a pipe that fits out of the box... get a PC pipe.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

but is there a rev pipe made by pc that fits the 06 kdx200?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They make an all-around pipe... more on the bottom and top. Not too much either way....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

i think ill go with the fmf desert...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think I would too! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

awoodman

Post by awoodman »

to bring back an old thread...i live in NH and the elevation is only like 300 ft. so will the jetting combo that you told me still work good? I didnt know if you were talking about the midwest or not...you told me to go with a 155 main and 45 pilot...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That should be fine... I'm at 600
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

awoodman

Post by awoodman »

and what are you running for a fuel ratio and what are your jets?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have an RB modified carb so my jetting runs leaner. 152/42 and fuel is 50:1 AMSOIL Interceptor.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****