FMF Woods or Desert pipe for my '06 KDX 200?

Got questions? We got answers....
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

finally got the pipe, silencer, and jets!! I just put the pipe and silencer on and started it up...sounds nice...Ill install the jets tomorrow. Is it easy to get the carb off? whats the easiest way, including draining gas?
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

>|<>QBB<
awoodman wrote:okay, thanks, i got the pipe and silencer and jets from frpoffroad instead
FRP is great too :grin:
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

>|<>QBB<
awoodman wrote:finally got the pipe, silencer, and jets!! I just put the pipe and silencer on and started it up...sounds nice...Ill install the jets tomorrow. Is it easy to get the carb off? whats the easiest way, including draining gas?
Turn off the gas and then put a rag/bucket underneath the 3 plastic drain tubes. Then undo the gas line (gas will come out) and the two hose clamps on the inlet and outlet of the carb. Then you can wiggle the carb out (this is when gas will drain out the tubes) and remove the four float bowl screws to remove the float bowl and get access to the jets. You may be able to remove the large bolt on the bottom of the float bowl without removing the bowl to get at the jets, but I have never done it that way. If you want to totally remove the carb, just unscrew the slide assembly (black plastic cap) and set aside taking care not to get it dirty.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I, turn the gas off, loosen the carb clamps on both sides, disconnect the gas line from the carb, turn the top of the carb toward me, Unscrew the the throttle cable cap and remove the slide/needle assembly and let it hang there, then remove the carb body from the bike.

Keeping it as upright as possible , I the remove the bowl screws (RB allens) and slowly remove it making sure not to spill the gas everywhere and being careful not to be rough on the float. Walk the bowl over to my oil-dry bucket and dump the gas.

Now, you can turn the carb upside down on a bench and remove the main in the middle with a 6mm wrench. And remove the recessed pilot with a small long narrow regular head screwdriver.

I always do it this way so I can check the condition of the carb, check the float level. I am never in that big of a hurry to swap jets with the carb on the bike, but I have changed needle height that way.

P.S... If your throttle cable isn't already routed in front of the petcock.... route it that way upon reassembly.
Last edited by Indawoods on 10:29 pm Aug 18 2006, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

whats the deal with the float level? What is better when you have it adjusted right? and how do you adjust it? Thanks again guys.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you have a manual... they show how to do it.

I use a machinists mm ruler to adjust. You have to hold the carb sideways and slightly up until the needle valve just seats.... then put the ruler (or they make a fancy schmancy one just for it ) on the bowl seat face and line it up with the tallest part of the float and take my reading. I go with 17mm.... 16 is spec though I think.

You make small adjustments to the tang where you needle jet rests on to get the proper height.

If the float level is right... your carb shouldn't pee and your bike won't go lean on you and it will run better in all situations except upsidedown.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

lol, alright, thanks...and how do i tell if the jetting is too lean? im going to switch from stock to a 155/45 and don't want to ruin my engine. And where is the air screw? And what is the clip position? And if it is running too lean and not smoking AT ALL, can i screw in the air screw and it will have more gas/oil and less air and run richer? Please help, thanks! AND is the stock needle in the middle position, when the bike rolled out of the factory? I havent touched it, so will it be in the middle, as of now? and how do I get to the needle, to adjust the clip position?