FMF Woods or Desert pipe for my '06 KDX 200?

Got questions? We got answers....
awoodman

FMF Woods or Desert pipe for my '06 KDX 200?

Post by awoodman »

I have a 2006 KDX200 and I ride in fields and trails...now I love getting the bike into the powerband and love to have the throttle at 7-8,000 RPM. My bottom end is OK. I would like more top end, but wouldnt want to sacrafice much or any or my bottom end. Should I get the woods or desert pipe? And if I got the desert and wasnt satisfied with the low end power so i put some boyesen reeds in for more low end, would it take away some top end? Thanks guys! And if the reeds would be a good idea with the desert pipe, which ones should I get? and will they fit in the stock reed cage?
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

reeds that are meant to fit into the stock reed cage will fit. A new reed cage is meant for better throttle response but some say they give more bottom end power. They aernt to expensive so try them before a pipe. With your Rpm range i sugest the desert pipe. I have that one, no loss of bottom end. Once you hit the upper rmps the thing screams!!!!
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Both reeds and a pipe help.
DeltaForce III reed cage and reeds are the prefered setup around here but the stock replacement Boysen Power reeds are a very good choice too.

Definately the Desert pipe is what you are after.

The DFIII's and the Desert pipe are a great pairing, the best of both worlds.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

awesome, thanks man...I think ill just buy the desert pipe, if it loses no bottom end...but do you know if the bottom end reeds will take away from the added top end that the fmf pipe puts out? And Im not prepared to spend the money on VFIII reeds right now, so I was going to just put boyesen petals on my stock cage. Do you know which reed im looking for? There is the pro series, which are meant for crisper throttle response and more over-rev. Theres the Power reeds, which are meant for mostly low and some high RPM's. And theres the Superstock, which are meant to last longest. Which one?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Power reeds are what you want in the KDX. They have proven to have the best overall range out of all of them.

Actually the DFIII is only about twice the price of the Boysen reeds alone. Something to think about.

You need the DFIII's and the desert pipe to lose nothing.

What is your sprocket combo?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

I have a stock sprocket combo, what should it be? And power reeds are like $32.99 and the v force 3 setup is like 130, so for now ill go with the boyesens.
Last edited by awoodman on 08:38 pm Jun 27 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What? 13/47?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

awoodman

Post by awoodman »

To tell you the truth, I don't even know...But with the FMF Desert pipe and the Boyesen power reeds, what should my jetting be? I know that people say to mess around and figure it out yourself, but they are farely expensive to do that with, so could anyone tell me what setup works best for jetting? thanks!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here is something to consider when trying to get your bike good for all conditions.

Buy a 12 and 13 tooth counter sprocket and a 50 tooth rear sprocket.

This way, you can gear it for torque with the 13/50 combo or for speed with the 12/50 combo which makes it like a 13/47 combo.

This sprocket change takes less that 2 minutes after you have done it a couple of times.

The only tools you need to change them out are, a large cresent (to loosen the rear axle bolt, a 8mm to remove your engine case guard and external snap ring pliers to remove the counter sprocket.

The readjust you chain and your off and running.

I bought the SunStar 50 Tooth Z-Sprocket which has gotten very good reviews on this site. It is as light as an aluminum sprocket and as tough as a steel sprocket... because it is. It looks a little funny but it is a great sprocket.

Just my .02
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jetting.... standard jetting that I see more than anything on the 200's are a 155 main, and a 45 pilot and that's with the stock needle in the middle position.
Seems to work really well for the stock carb with a pipe and Boysen's anyway....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

awoodman

Post by awoodman »

ok, and can I change the jets myself, easily?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Very easy!

When you remove the bowl the Main is in the middle and is brass, You remove it with a 6 or 8mm wrench...(don't quite recall :hmm:) you can then read what size it is stamped on the side.

The pilot is recessed in the body beside the main and removed with a small flat head screwdriver. And you can read the size the same as the main. Don't over torque them when replacing them or you may strip them... just seat them well...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Great! Thanks a lot, man...youve been a great help! I'll be doing these mods soon... :supz:
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

its a 6mm wrench.... i know cause i dont have one... i had to use an adjustable.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

k, i got a good garage of tools...metrics and standards...thanks
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Double post. :roll:
Last edited by KDXer on 03:33 am Jun 28 2006, edited 1 time in total.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Indawoods wrote:This way, you can gear it for torque with the 13/50 combo or for speed with the 12/50 combo which makes it like a 13/47 combo.
Doesn't a 13 give more speed than a 12 ??

FTR
12/50 has a final drive ratio of 4.17
13/47 has a final drive ratio of 3.63
13/54 is the closest to 13/47 with 4.15

I run 13/49 with a 110 link chain and have great bottom and still get about 135kph top speed (I've never gone more than 110kph MAX anywhere in the woods I ride, and that aint for long either)

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep your right KD... I was asleep at the wheel! :oops:

Keep the 47....and just get a 12 tooth countersprocket and your good.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Like Mr. indawoods says; The V-FIII reed cage is well worth the $$. When the ole' wallet fattens up enough you must get the reed valve. It has a built in torque spacer so there is more bottom end right there. The throttle response is super crisp and the over rev's go to the moon! The bonus is the sano look of the thing. I sat there admiring mine before throwing it in. Once it's in you'll see the shiny badge that says you got something under the hood all over it!
I have a 220 with the stock carb which is not the prefered kit around here but I have to say that it is the best mod I have done along with the Gnarly desert pipe. That and removing the airbox lid (or drill 1" holes in the lid/your choice)
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
kdennan wrote:Like Mr. indawoods says; The V-FIII reed cage is well worth the $$. When the ole' wallet fattens up enough you must get the reed valve. It has a built in torque spacer so there is more bottom end right there. The throttle response is super crisp and the over rev's go to the moon! The bonus is the sano look of the thing. I sat there admiring mine before throwing it in. Once it's in you'll see the shiny badge that says you got something under the hood all over it!
I have a 220 with the stock carb which is not the prefered kit around here but I have to say that it is the best mod I have done along with the Gnarly desert pipe. That and removing the airbox lid (or drill 1" holes in the lid/your choice)
Well you won't know the ol' girl once you get your head and carb back from RB-Designs. ;) ;) (nudge, nudge)