good bike for price?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's an FMF silencer... had one on mine before I got the TCII.

If it's loud... proly needs repacked.

Did ya move the swingarm back and forth? Was there oil on the shock shaft... i.e was it leaking? How'd the chain rub block look? Was the shifter loose? Radiator fluid look good? Any repairs or major tweaks on radiators?

Got a compression tester? Take it with you and while your checking that... take a look at the plug.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well the rads were very good, only the left one was barely tweaked. No leaking. The shifter was tight. I didnt check the plug. No oil on shock shaft, it was rebuilt by last owner, he "told me". I didnt check plug but it was running clean i also didnt check compression because i didnt bring my guage. It was pretty powerful though. Chain block was good, it was a freddette one. The only thing i kinda forgot to do was check wheel bearings and swingarm bearings.

I emailed the guy told him how it was and offered $900 cash. If it dont work my cousin is gonna save for a little while more untill he has like $1500 and then look for a bike. $1500 will get most bikes from $1500-$2000 around were i live. Does $900 sound decent for the condition??

And how much do you think it will cost to make it presentable?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Personally, I wouldn't touch that thing for more than $600. Granted, pictures don't tell the full story, but it doesn't look to me like it was maintained well at all. If the linkage/steering head/swingarm bearings need replacement, you're looking at a good bit of money( $200+). Count on wheel bearings ($80). Rear brake has problems ($70+ ??), you need plastic, that silencer probably aint a spark arrestor ($140) .. no telling what the suspension really needs..and that's just looking at the pix of a TEN year old bike!! . Around me, 3 year old well maintained YZ/KX/CR 250's go for $1800, and take a while to get that price. Sure, $1800 is more than you wanted to pay, but a lot closer to being a good buy than that thing in my not-so-humble sounding opinion.

I say look up your local racing organization , and see if they have a website. Mine does , and they have a forum where bikes are posted for sale. Racers generally maintain their bikes better than they maintain themselves, and turn them over every 2 or 3 years. They often get the new bike first, and then are very motivated to get rid of the old one.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ya there is a 99 kdx220 that has been in the ads forever, maybe i will give that guy a call, $1500.... you never know.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

220's are not worth it.
Low-compression-small-carbratin'-piston-blowin-smokers! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

:shock:

you wana race????? :shock:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ain't no thing!

Let's go!

Oh yeah... can't get yer shrouds on... Oh... and your forks.... :roll: :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

we just found a 2003 kdx220 for sale. Yes a 220... Anyway, he says it is in excellent shape, low miles, like new. He is asking $1800, so maybe i was thinking like $1500, is that a good deal if the bike is in good shape? thanks
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
kdxdad

Post by kdxdad »

That's an excellent deal if it's in good shape. I just bought an '03 for $2600. He was asking $3000 and NADA said $2800.
________
Teen videos
Last edited by kdxdad on 11:12 pm Feb 15 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

I thought it was very good too. Nada by me says average is $2500 and low is $1900 so i though $1800 is very good.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I missed a turn of a page............

Re: '..1996 kdx200'

Re: '...YOU KNOW the bikes are all the same from 95-06... '

Insert: pics of a USD forked bike

Then: ' let him know that the spring rate in the 94 forks...'

???

I ain't never seen a silencer like that on an 'H'......... :wink:

Can't see the KIPS rod cover on the RH side, but I bet it's funny lookin' too!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

your a strange fellow CC :shock:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I think it's strange to be talking about different models/years of bikes like no one notices the difference...and you're talking about what it's worth!

btw..it's 'you're'

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you look at the pics Ryan (FREAK) posted and read the text in his post it states that the bike had the frontend of a 94 on it. (Which it does)

Look at that silencer! (My bike) Wow! See that CC... looks just like Ryans bastard bikes. :lol:

Oh...and uh all you have to do is look at the angle of the KIPS shaft case casting in Ryans posted pic link to tell it is a 95 and up model. :wink:

I don't see anything that was wrote wrong! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

im just messing with ya CC, but i will say it is hard to understand your posts sometimes when you are always saying Re: and quotes and what not. Ya just can' :rolleyes: t talk to hicks that way.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The Re: means "regarding", or "in reference to" 'sposed to make it easier for said hicks to know what you are talking about. I think CC's posts are some of the easiest to read on this site. 'cept for mine of course. His have more true information, but mine are shorter and take less electricty. :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Mom!! He's tellin' short (maybe re: 'electricity'..maybe not) jokes agin!!'

I said I missed something....

..and that was the .94 part

Heck..you don't think I read his posts, do 'ya!!??

And I DID look at the angle of the dangle. Wasn't convinced either way.

Thanks for the ....uh....Re: 'correction'...and what not :wink:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 07:00 pm Jun 28 2006, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: You guys kill me!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Bike is certainly NOT in excellent shape cosmetically and doesn't come with a lot of spendy extras. Chain and sprockets, tail light, likely bearings front and rear based, fork seals, TLC time, cables? All adds up in time and money :mad: Tires not very clear in picture and although they were not bald it looked to me like well rounded knobbys.

I would walk away and kept looking unless it was in the 500-700 dollar range - even then I would relook at the bike.

Re CC's posts - they are ease to read for this hick. I really appreciate his weirdo sense of humor and play on words.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine