good bike for price?

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

good bike for price?

Post by Ryan »

My cousin is looking for a woods bike. Naturally a say a kdx, of course. WE found 1 in his price range which is not much. It is a 1996 kdx200. It only needs fork seals. No graphics but thats not a big deal. Everything elese is great. Is it a good deal?? or too high of a price? thanks
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Since you don't have a price in your post... it must be free!

I say go for it! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

wow, i was thinking the price in my head.... i guess i thought it would just appear. o well.

Anyway he was asking $1500 for it. What do ya think?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'd offer $1200...

I paid $1450 for mine several years ago....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ya i thought $1200 would be a better deal. I called the guy up he said well im listing it for $1500 but i liked to get $1200. Do you think i could get it for $1100?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Very possible...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

beeds3000

Post by beeds3000 »

I got a 1997 in good alsome mechanical shape, but I had to paint the frame because it bothered me with rust spots and got all new plastics for about $120.00, I bought it from a buddy of a buddy for $800.00 I couldn't pass it up
Geoff T. Biderman
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

Wow $800 is pretty cheap. Ya maybe i will offer $1000 and see where it goes.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

He's gonna shoot ya down and it will piss him off. Better go with the $1100

It would me.... :evil:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'am with Vince - If the bike is in excellent shape just needs graphics and fork seals and YOU KNOW the bikes are all the same from 95-06... what is the difference in whether or not it is a 96 or 99 or 01. Condition plays a bigger role price wise than the year if you plan on actually riding the bike.

Your cousin should make a determination what it is worth to him. If I was asking 1500 and told someone on the phone I needed 1200 out of it after explaining its condition and/or after they had looked at the bike - then they low balled me - I would feel taken advantage of. I likely would not sell it to that person for anything less than the asking price.

If you get the bike for 1100 or 1200 if the bike truely is in great condition I would consider it a fair deal.. Sprockets, tires, chain, compression all good. Shock seal leaking? Linkage tight and greased? Engine run smoothly and accelerate well? How old is the top end. Pull the cover off the stator side and see if there is any play in the crank bearings. Transmission shift well? Clutch smooth and not grabby? No leaks (other than the fork seals) Coolant look good with no oil residue or floaters? Radiators look like they have taken any big hits? Handlebars straight. Seat cover intact - etc, etc. Upgrades - pipe/reeds/silencer? Overal appearance? Check out the bike!

For comparsion purposes you and your cousin should have already checked out bikes in your area within 300-500 dollars of his price range. This gives you and your cousin perspective on what is available, a feel for the overall condtion of used bikes at this price point, and recognition (hopefully) of WHAT is a good deal in your area at this time.

Ryan - I know you are trying to help your cousin and likely want him for a riding buddy but I will offer this unsolicted advice. Make sure HE makes the final decision on both the bike and the price. As your finding out bikes and parts are expensive - imagine how you would feel if someone steered you down the wrong road and you ended up with a bike that you did not like: OR needed to pile heeps of money into!!
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

I second that advice ! :wink:
1981 KDX 175
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well we have looked at all the bikes within his range, the only other bike that is really big enough for him is a 1996 honda cr250. As far as looking bikes over, there are no worries in my mind there, i have done it many times. Not saying i wil see everything that may be wrong but i will see most of it. AS far as his final decision it has been up to him the whole time. He called me last night and told me, if i found any bikes and i told him about the Cr250 again and the kdx again. I told him to think about it overnight and call me in the morning. It is purley his decision i only give him the information i know about each bike.

As far as being a riding buddy, i wish, but he lives 2hours and 45 minutes away from me. I do see him often but not enough to frequently ride together.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Ryan Great - Sounds like your giving him good advice along with being his mentor.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

Ya im that good what can i say :wink: .

Im a more serious note. I think what im gonna do is go myself and look at the bike. Take some pictures get the condition and then call up my cousin. I will let him know what i thought and send him the pictures. Then i think i will have him and my dad go without me when my cousin comes up on thursday so that he can make up his mind without anyone telling him what to do. I will let you know how this turns out. Thanks for your help. Maybe we will have another new member :wink:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

first rule of buying if your embarrassed by your offer its a good one, if you feel good about your offer the you left money on the table. if the seller balks at it don't worry,you just gave him an idea of what you have to spend ,ask for a counter offer or best price. first rule of selling ask enough that any embarrassing offer will be a sale.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ok i got some pictures, im not sure if it that great of a deal but maybe it is. Anyway it was sitting so it has some rust.... I guess he was selling it outside... thats what he said. He has an atv that is like mint and a Wr250 that is really nice too, so as far as taking care of the bike it may be good.

It has new pads front and rear, new air filter, Renthal bars, 94 kx forks, not sure if they are better than stock. Top end was done about 4 years ago. The only thing missing is the tail light and the right side cover. The head light is off of the 94 kx forks cause it came with the whole front end.

It needs seals in the forks, and the front brakes are not very good, im thinking they need a bleeding. I was pushing on them prettu hard but they didnt work very well. It wasnt leaking so im not sure. It also is gonna need chain and sprockets soon. In the last picture you can see the dent in the pipe.

here are the pics.

http://img143.imagevenue.com/img.php?lo ... 14_kdx.jpg

http://img41.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc ... 2_kdx5.jpg

http://img11.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc ... _KDX_1.jpg

http://img153.imagevenue.com/img.php?lo ... _kdx_2.jpg

http://img103.imagevenue.com/img.php?lo ... _kdx_3.jpg

http://img121.imagevenue.com/img.php?lo ... _kdx_4.jpg
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well Ryan....

Stress the point that the frontend will have to be rebuilt and let him know that the spring rate in the 94 forks are like .29's and will have to be replaced. Also that you will have to work on the brakes and you have to buy a pair of side covers because they don't just come as one.

$1000 at the most is what I say. Looks like it could use some TLC.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ya so what does it look like it needs? How much should we estimate it will cost to fix.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks like mostly cosmetics... did you start it and ride it? If not... who knows?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well it is loud, what is the silencer from? At least what does it look like it is from. I rode the bike, It took about 4 kicks to start cold. It was a cold start too cause he had to use choke, he just took it out of his garage. It ran like a pinger should. It had a tight transmission and felt like it could wheelie pretty easy. it had a good amount of torque. It seemed like it may have had a very small hesitation off the idle but it was only running for bout 2 minutes before i rode it.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250