Idaho riding?

Got questions? We got answers....
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Idaho riding?

Post by 4Rider »

Mrs. 4Rider is headed back to Iraq for a couple of months so I'm thinking of taking August off, loading the boys and bikes into the trailer and heading north in search of some new riding. I've heard that Idaho is trail-riding heaven, and I'm wondering if any of you guys would be willing to share Idaho trail info.

The boys are 13 and 15 and ride a KDX 220 and a KTM 400 respectively. We ride a lot in the desert and spend at least a few weeks a year in the eastern sierras, so we should be OK for most anything except rock-crawling and boulder fields.

If you are willing to share some info let me know and I'll send you an email address or call you for a chat.

Thanks,

Mark
Last edited by 4Rider on 11:03 pm Jul 15 2006, edited 1 time in total.
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If IdahoCharley doesn't chime in here, PM him.

If you're headed to Ideehoe from CA, you'll likely be headed thru this area.

What's your timeframe? Prospect is an OHV riding area that opens July 1. I'll be up there with the fambly this coming weekend. Nothing technical..the more fun trails are still under snow, but it's still fun. We run a 120+mile loop that I'm sure you would enjoy.

Fire season is right around the corner, and that event closes John's Peak (a local riding area that can get as technical as you want..or not).

If you're coming thru this-a-way, let me know. We'll be leaving for Prospect the end of this week.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Canyncarvr,

My time frame is fairly open for the month of August. We have a group of friends who are headed to Utah to ride the Piaute trail through August 4th or so, but there is a problem taking under-18 year old riders to Utah as Utah requires a Utah certified training course. I am not finding anything here that will meet their requirements, so that trip may be a no-go. Coming your way could be a good idea. I'm just looking for some new areas to ride, and to get away from So Cal for a while. We're headed up to the Mammoth Lake area Wednesday for a speed run (have to be back to work on the 4th). We usually spend a couple of weeks up that way in August riding the Inyo National Forest areas, and that is basically on the way to Oregon (well, sort of anyway).

Does "Jefferson's State" require any specific young-rider training or certification?

Do you have any trips planned already that we could tag-along on?

We ride a lot of different terrain, but I'm really not looking for super-technical stuff to drag the boys through. They like long rides, sightseeing rides and touring and don't have to have gnarly hills, single-track or jumps to be happy. At 120 miles I guess I would need to carry some extra fuel for the KDX, but the two KTMs should have no problem. We are pretty much self-contained with a 33' toybox, so staying pretty much anywhere we can drive to is no problem.

I'm a Fire Captain so I'm all-too familiar with the fire season. I've been up close to you several times the last few years doing stupid stuff out in the brush and hills. My only problem will be escaping on this trip before I get conscripted and sent somewhere on my brush rig. Our fire season seems to peak after Labor Day, although we have already had several large fires and things seem to be drying out and heating up early this year.

I'll PM you with my email address.

Thanks,

Mark
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Oregon has a reciprocal 'plan' with neighboring states...so if you're good to ride in CA, you're good to ride here. No 18yr old demarcation for training or certification. You can ride up here if you're 2...and probably've been drinkin' to boot!

I sent you an email afore I read this. I'm not sure what's going on in August up this way. I know there's a couple week trip back east and DuneFest on the coast that I obligated myself to help with. I think 8/06 is pretty much shot.

Cindy (my honey) is always looking for an excuse to get up to Prospect...so surely we can work out something!

Take a look at Winom-Frazier OHV area in Oregon. If you have time to kill on your way to Idaho, that is supposed to be a real nice area. I ain't never been there.

http://oohva.org/ohv%20area%20pages/winom.html

Prospect is nothing technical. It IS a long sightseeing ride!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

I'd be glad to guide you into some good riding. I'm in the Pocatello area. About an hour from Idaho Charley. Which area were you looking to ride here in Idaho. It's a big state with tons and tons of riding. Throw me a pm and I'll be glad to shoot you some info.
97 Kdx200
Summuda goodies.... But not quite enough.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'd also be glad to guide you into some good riding. I'm in Idaho Falls and familar with a number of areas both to the north and west of Idaho Falls. I thinking of two great areas with riding that it sounds like your boys would enjoy. Loops that we run usually about 40 - 60 miles long.

Aug 10-13 is out for me - brother getting married in Montana - but otherwise I'm pretty flexible in August.

I also have two boys a 13 and 15 year old. (TTR125L and KDX 200)

Send me a PM. :grin:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

it may not be in idaho, but i know an area up here in northeast washington that you may like. there are all different kinds of trails, long and hard, small and easy, inbetween, yada yada. my little brother (once again he is thirteen and i am fifteen) sure like it. he has a crf 150 and i (of course) a kdx 200. mabe when taking your trip you would like to stop in on the way. it's a pretty nice place with lots of trails, and you can stop in at the beaver lodge after a long ride and get a delicious beaver burger. :grin:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
TEEEE

Post by TEEEE »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Oregon has a reciprocal 'plan' with neighboring states...so if you're good to ride in CA, you're good to ride here. No 18yr old demarcation for training or certification. You can ride up here if you're 2...and probably've been drinkin' to boot!
I don't think that is correct. I didn't look up the Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR), but here is a quote from the COHVOPS site:
Visitors from other states that do not have ATV programs must purchase an Oregon non-resident off-road operating permit.
For kids, it gets worse. For out-of-staters, you might be able to side step this one:
Class III ATVs (motorcycles):
You must have a valid drivers license or
Have a motorcycle operator permit or
Be accompanied by someone 18 years or older who has a license or permit.
Children under 7 cannot ride motorcycles on public land. If they are between the ages of 7 and 12, they may ride but only if they have an operator permit and are accompanied by an adult. To enroll your child in the class to obtain an operator permit, please call 1-877-288-7093.
I've been warned riding with my 6-year old, but never ticketed. They won't even let him into the class until he's 7. The frustrating part is that any age kid can legally ride a quad. Don't get me started... :mad:

All that being said, if I were you I'd just go ride...
TEEEE

Post by TEEEE »

I stand corrected on the first part...
736-004-0070

Reciprocity for Out-of-State Permits

An ATV operating permit that is issued in another state shall be honored in the State of Oregon if the issuing state also honors an Oregon ATV operating permit.

(1) The ATV must have a resident state ATV operating permit or a State of Oregon ATV operating permit to operate the ATV on designated ATV areas.

(a) A State of Oregon ATV operating permit may be issued for all terrain vehicles owned by a resident of another state.

(b) An ATV operating permit is valid in those areas designated for ATV use.

Stat. Auth.: ORS 390.180
Stats. Implemented: ORS 390.180
Hist.: PRD 8-2000, f. & cert. ef. 6-2-00
I'm not a lawyer. :grin: