revisiting the "broken mystery pin floating around.&quo

Got questions? We got answers....
kdennan

revisiting the "broken mystery pin floating around.&quo

Post by kdennan »

I learned something critical from this forum. The recent post regarding the broken govenor pin on the KIPS actuator shaft was a topic I looked at to store away in the noggin. I think you all are aware that I have posted some topics about my mods and a general feeling that I still did not like the power off the bottom. Well, it turns out that my govenor broke too.
When I did the Wiseco top end last winter I remember the LH thread nut being a little tough to break free and the wrench I used to support the shaft was not perfectly tight on the slot. That must have allowed it to bend that ole' girl and who knows when she broke. I had also noticed that the shifting was not so great from time to time. I put a magnetic drain plug in and each time I changed the oil I noticed shards. Yesterday things came to a head when I could not get the bike into 3rd from 4th, it skipped out of gear and basically gave the impression that the tranny was toast. I said to myself; "Drain the oil and see what comes out this time." This time a BIG piece came out and it looked a little something like it used to be shaped like the shaft portion of the govenor. Plus there was quite a bit of shardies. :sad: :mad: Then the recall came over me from that post 14 yr. old wrote. I pulled the right side cover and there she was'nt. So I am happy that it did not smoke the engine and the part is on it's way so I should still be able to race in the Rocktoberfast enduro this weekend.
One thing..... Is it possible that any more of it lurks in the engine? Is there a way to flush or find out with out totally splitting the cases?
Thanks and thanks again for teaching me a little something.
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Why yes, it is. I just put the plug back in and heard/felt something attach to the magnet as I threaded it in. It was the portion of the part which the two allen screws go into. The flat part was still attached with the screws but right at the 90 degree bend was missing. That piece came out. Still looking for the thickest part of the shafty thing and possibly some of the smaller part. Any suggestions?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:shock: Uh.... keep fishing?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Assuming I don't get 100% of the wreckage. What could happen. I would say I have 70% in my little parts dish.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just do alot of righthand whips to force the parts to the right side so you may retrieve them... :razz:

It could do damage but to what extent I'm sure is better left to the imagination. I would keep fishing until I was comfortable that I got all the large chunks out. The small stuff will eventually make it out in the oil proly.....
Keep a magnet on the bottom of your drain plug and keep checking it....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Oh yeah, the whips. I should have known. :lol:
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Take the clutch plates apart. I don't think you will have to split the case.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

If only I had the special tools to remove the clutch basket. I will get one soon but not in time for the weekend. I was going to pick up a few extra quarts of oil to flush the gearbox. I was thinking of trying two methods. 1: get the bike back together and while it is on the stand put it in 5th and spin the wheel a bunch then drain. (repeat a couple of times) 2nd: Take a short spin at low rpm's and flush a few times.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
kdennan wrote:If only I had the special tools to remove the clutch basket. I will get one soon but not in time for the weekend. I was going to pick up a few extra quarts of oil to flush the gearbox. I was thinking of trying two methods. 1: get the bike back together and while it is on the stand put it in 5th and spin the wheel a bunch then drain. (repeat a couple of times) 2nd: Take a short spin at low rpm's and flush a few times.
Do you have a rattle gun or impact driver ?? That's what I used to get my clutch basket off. If it were mine, I'd keep fishing and then over fill the engine, then with the cases full of oil I would slowly kick the bike over by hand for a few minutes (along with your 5th gear wheel turning) to try and free up any stuck bits and pieces.

Good luck...

Trev...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Thanks. I'll have the part tomorrow and will give it a go. I do have an impact driver so I'll try it out.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Just Remove & Inspect the Clutch Plates
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

GH is saying you don't need to take the basket off to inspect the plates. No 'special' tools required.

Well, I think that's what he's saying. ;)

re: 'Just do alot of righthand whips...'

Like...fill it with a very light oil of the same type you're using, 'slosh' it around some, drain it.

No way to tell what the 'shardies' you took out used to be.

To this point you have been extremely lucky. Hopefully your luck will hold. Heck..I'm sure it will!

Take some reasonable care to clean it up and don't worry about it. How about that?

BTW:
kdennan wrote:The power on the other hand had me a little miffed.
Consider the Source wrote:I don't recall a KIPS discussion on your bike. Is it right? Checked it?

Something is wrong

I didn't look for this part, but I recall a discussion regarding your magnetic plug picking up stuff it shouldn't be getting aholt of.....

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Thanks CC. I have always been the fortunate son. I can't wait to see what happens when I ride it next. POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Just for fun...when you're fixing it take note of the position of the valves. Closed? Open? 1/2 of one, 1/2 the other? Well...1/3 2/3? :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Yep, CC thats what I was saying................................... :partyman:
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

hey, about making sure the power vaulve is closed, turn it all the way to the left. trust me. i just did mine last night. :wink: :grin:

i'm glad that my problem had helped you with yours!!! good luck. it will help out alot, it sure increased the bottom end of mine!!!
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Could it be that is why when I check my plug, there is one small portion of the ceramic that is darker in color than the rest.... Power Valve not opening correctly due to the broken govenor?
When I look in the right side valve cover where the top of the actuator shaft and nut are I can see that the dot on the cog is lined up correctly with the valve. That is good. So once I replace the piece, everything should be correct? Not sure if I am completely clear 14yr. old. Turn that gear all the way counterclockwise?
Thanks
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

yep. that's correct. the govoner is the thing that opens and closes the KIPS (kawasaki intigrated power vaulve system). also, yes, you have to rotate the gear to the KIPS on the right side counterclockwise. good luck this weekend :wink:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

You will have to pull the Actuator Rod Up a bit to get the Governor on. Leave loose and make sure the CRAW is meshed into the KIPS Gearing and make sure the Govenor Rod is tucked nicely into the centrifugal force springy thing. Tighten it up and you're good to go. Except, put the casing back together :shock:
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Cool beans. I just flushed the bike with some 10w-30 and the first time the larger portion of the rod end of the governor came out with the other half of the smaller shafty part. That should be everything. I flushed 4 more times and nothing so I am feeling good. Anything at all now is just a shard. The kicker is that Kawi did not release the part until this morning but they told my shop that they will get it to them by tomorrow morning. It is going to be tight with timing but at least I am not paying the overnight charge now. I can't wait. I guess I'll be squaring away all my gear today and packing so that I can spend the day driving north first to the shop then back here to put her together and then south to the campground next to the event. It oughta be fun trying out a new bike in my first race :supz: