Back to Front Forks.....

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Back to Front Forks.....

Post by Mark W »

Ok, checked out the front forks this weekend, as far as seeing if there really was a problem, and I think there is. I haven't torn into them and realize that this is the next thing to do but before that, thought I would list the symptoms and maybe someone has had something similar happen.

Loaded the dirtbike onto the back of the pick-up yesterday and tied it down. This time, I tied the left side down first and then the right. Bike was tied down good. I then sat on the bike and pused on the left side of the handle bars, fork didn't move. I then pushed down on the right side of the handle bars and the right side fork pushed down quite easily. This isn't right.

I still went to the riding spot as my son really wanted to go bad. Got the bike of the truck and pushed down equally on both side of the handle bars and front fork seemed fine. Couldn't push the right, nor the left side down any easier or harder than the other.

Rode the bike for the afternoon and didn't really notice any problems with the bike. I didn't ride hard grant you but I rode (I know, tempting fate and all that).

I did notice that the front wheel seemed to be washing out, or getting "loose" when in loose sand but this I attribute to the new rear wheel hooking up soooo much better than the old wheel. After riding for awhile, this "problem" went away as I got used to the new tire.

So, any thoughts? I'm going to open up the forks and take a look sometime this week. Any guesses on what I'll find? If this helps, I did put in new springs last year but didn't really notice this prior to recently.

Thanks -
TD3

Post by TD3 »

How do you push on one fork at a time? They are (the forks) connected by an axle that does not pivot, so how do you push on one side? I don't think it's possible to feel differences in the forks once they're connected via the axle. In fact, you can run different rate springs in each side to achieve a desired spring rate. Also, some suspension tuners also run one fork valved for compression and the other is valved for rebound, which can't be felt in the bars by pushing on one side. Again, because it is connected via the axle, making the forks move as one.
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

Not true - there is a BIG difference. That's why I think/know there is a problem. If I lean on the right side of the bars, the right fork side easily compresses, if I lean on the left side of the handle bars, nothing happens. When I push on both side of the bars at the same time, neither fork compresses "more easily" than the other.

Weird huh?
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

So, this is only when you have the forks compressed when loaded in the pickup?

Do you have the same mounting points on both sides of the bike (equal length front to back, left to right)? Is your kickstand down ;)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Is your kickstand down ;)'

:lol:

Had to read that one twice.......;)

Sorry, but I have no idea..everything I would consider to be a possibility seems too goofy to ask (like 'Do you have the same mounting points on both sides of the bike?' which is an excellent question, but something I would have not thought of asking because it's of course already been figured in/out of the problem equation).

With my bike tied down..pushing on it is going to result in pretty much no movement no where.

Some one here will either get it...or you will when you take 'em apart.

Good luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I would take the wheel off and test it by hand. See how much easier it is to compress one from the other.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."