Older KDX information

Got questions? We got answers....
Cytoviper

Older KDX information

Post by Cytoviper »

Hello all,

Just stumbled in here while searching the web for some information on my 1982 (I think) KDX 175. I have had the bike since it was new it has sat for a long time not being used, now planning to get to riding it again.

I cannot seem to find my manual anywhere and have not been able to locate the information on the manufacturers website, so hope somebody here can help.

What I need to know is the trans/clutch oil type(rating and weight) to use and capacity of the case?

Thanks all for the help
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I used to have ones of those. I used Valvoline or Castrol 10w-40 . I thought the case has a capacity molded into it. Anyway, as I recall, there is a level bleed hole on the clutch side. You take that out and fill it till oil seeps out.

You can still order some parts for those things. The rear suspension linkage is a total pain in the butt to maintain. I think they recommend you tear it down and regrease the goofey spherical joints on the linkage arms every 10 hours or so. I was pretty good about that, but still got deep grooves worn in them.

I liked the bike though, very reliable, the only weak points were the clutch throw-out bearing, and the unregulated electrical system. Mine would blow head and tail lights like flash cubes.

Have fun.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Cytoviper

Post by Cytoviper »

Thanks for the information, I didn't see the volume on the case but was kinda dark in the garage. I will have to look a bit closer in the daylight.

What is the best source for parts/manuals for this old of a bike?
1982 KDX 175
1988 ZX6 Ninja 600
2006 Harley Night Rod VRSCD 1130
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

No level bleed hole on mine but it says in the manual to put in .55 liters of 10w40 .

Hope it helps !
1981 KDX 175
Cytoviper

Update

Post by Cytoviper »

Hello all thanks for the input, thought I would share an update where things stand as of this evening.

Carb was cleaned over the weekend, old gas removed from the tank and cleaned out.

Found the capacity to be 0.55 liters stamped on the case just like Colorado Mike had said :grin: filled her up to the level check screw that is by the kickstarter.

Bike started on the 3rd kick :partyman:

Now have to get a couple of small parts and I am good to go...... :cool:

Thanks for everyones help
1982 KDX 175
1988 ZX6 Ninja 600
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

hey, great news! if you ever need the clutch actuator lever that goes into the case, let me know. I have one from my old bike I just found the other day.

<edit> Damn! just noticed you're in Colorado. Where? I wonder if you have my old bike!

<edit again> Ok, I really can read, just not all the time. Now I see you've had it since new. That means 2 things...1) it ain't my old bike, and 2) you're pretty old too!
Mike

'04 KDX220
Cytoviper

Post by Cytoviper »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:<edit again> Ok, I really can read, just not all the time. Now I see you've had it since new. That means 2 things...1) it ain't my old bike, and 2) you're pretty old too!
Colorado Mike

LMAO, ......... to dam funny, I know its not yours either :rolleyes:

But on the other hand yep, I am getting old I guess, 41 here but based on your limited attention span you must have the old fart disease far worse than I do :grin:

BTW I have lived all over the front range of Colorado, from Pueblo, Fort Collins currently and most points in between, so tell you what the first :partyman: is on me, if you are in the area.
1982 KDX 175
1988 ZX6 Ninja 600
Cytoviper

Post by Cytoviper »

>|<>QBB<
Actarus wrote:No level bleed hole on mine but it says in the manual to put in .55 liters of 10w40 .

Hope it helps !
Hey thanks for the information, I am surprised yours doesn't have the bleed/check hole though, because I thought mine was a 1981 too till I checked it on the website and it comes up as 1982 so ?????

If you have an owners/service manual for these bikes can you look up what the air pressure range is for the front forks? Seemed to me as I recall was like 7-10 psi but I just don't recall perfectly anymore.
1982 KDX 175
1988 ZX6 Ninja 600
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

Sorry it took so long. I'm moving so did'nt had much time to look it up but I took the time to do so today.

I've went through my manual and that info is no where to be found. I gives the type of oil originally in, the quantity but does not mention anything about the pressure range. :blink:
1981 KDX 175
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A BTW, but my Honda has air assist forks. They are not to go over 10psi.

..and that not injected with an air chuck on your 5HP twin stage air compressor.

A one-each 3rd party regulator should help on the blue-dot syndrome.

Welcome to the site!!

..talkin' about 'old' and bein' 40....bunch of punk kid whippersnappers!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

Thanks for the info CC and Cytoviper ! I'm was wondering it myself for some time now.

I'm able to write small things too dear CC
1981 KDX 175
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well, I would HOPE so!! It's not quite up to rocket science-ness! Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Cytoviper

Post by Cytoviper »

Hey all thanks for the help

Update on the project, both good news and some bad.

Have been out for a couple of rides had a blast was like finding an old friend again :grin: The bike generally starts on the first kick too....

The front tire was showing couple small weather checks so today I picked up a new tire and tube, got them installed no problem.

I have noticed a slight resitance turning the wheel periodically when riding. At first I thought perhaps an air pressure problem, then maybe its just me being used to my street bikes smooth steering. Now with the bike on the lift I found my steering neck is binding :mad: so now to at least clean and regrease the bearings or replace them if they are shot and the races too......... anyone have any advice, warnings, comments?

OK here is a tough ? now since the forks are probably coming off too ....... should I just put seals and boots on or replace with newer style forks and triple trees what does that upgrade cost?

Anyone have a 1982 KDX 175 service manual they dont need anymore?
1982 KDX 175
1988 ZX6 Ninja 600
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

There's a thread on this, but I wouldn't go to the trouble of putting USD forks on that bike. I think you are opening yourself up to a lot of problems with ride height, imbalance of suspension characteristics front to rear, and "economic comedy" . I think the smarter route would be to ride the bike as it was designed, and if you decide you would like/need more performance, buy a different bike. The newer ones are nice, but come with a price in added complexity. Crash one, and break a radiator, $300 . Bash the water pump, you might be pushing a long ways. Seems easier to flatten a pipe than on my old 175 .

If I needed to have a "Survival bike", The KDX 175 would be tough to beat, since there's not much on it to go wrong. As a performance bike though, well, there's not much on it.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Cytoviper

Post by Cytoviper »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:If I needed to have a "Survival bike", The KDX 175 would be tough to beat, since there's not much on it to go wrong. As a performance bike though, well, there's not much on it.
Mike,

sound advice brother thats precisely why I still have this bike its almost bullet proof, and I realize it will never be a performance bike.

I read the some of the USD fork thread after my previous post and it appears that project is well beyond what I am willing to spend.

What has me most troubled now is the scope creep that has started with an aging tire. That revealed stiff stem bearings in the neck, I am somewhat caught in the well "while its apart syndrome"........ ARGH!!!! , Fork seals and boots, front brake shoes........ stop the insanity....... where does it end......... I know it never does......LOL :rolleyes:

I have to get the bearings out first and see where that leads so looks like a bit more TLC for my "old friend" and slightly more than a fresh tank of gas.
1982 KDX 175
1988 ZX6 Ninja 600