MY HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
sotchong

MY HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by sotchong »

Hey guys i have a problem. Every time i go riding for more than 20 min my hands go numb. My dad says its because i hold on too tight but im not. I just did a kx fork swap may forks too stiff? Any help or advice will help. Thanks guys!
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Is it just your hands that hurt? Do you have stiff arms as well, how long have u been riding and are you used to working with your hands? And how rough are the trails you ride? All of this contributes to a LARGE equation that equals hand fatigue....
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

My kid just recently switched to a YZ125 and I've noticed he keeps pulling over and shaking his hands. He never did that on his KX. both bikes have solid mounts, but he has Pro Tapers on the KX. Are you still running the rubber mounts on your KX front end?

Here's an exercise that might help you out . Take about a 10 or 15 lb. weight, and tie one end of a 1/4" or 3/8" rope (maybe 4' long, depending on your height) to it. The other end ties to the center of a 10" long, 3/4" or bigger dowel. Then put a couple tacks in it to keep it from slipping.

Now stand up, hold the dowel in both hands, and hold your arms straight out 90° from your body.

Wind the dowel so you raise the weight all the way up to it, then slowly wind it back down. do that a few times, and do the whole thing three times a day.

In a couple weeks, I bet you won't have anymore hand pain, and you'll have a handshake that commands respect. :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My Dad used to make me do that exercise too when I was a kid... It works wonders.

Just for reference....

What is your weight, fork spring rate, fork oil weight and height?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
sotchong

Post by sotchong »

I have been riding bikes for a long time. I'm a plumber so I work with my hands everyday. I run pro taper 1 1/8th bars and I think they have rubber mounts. I have the kx front fork, I weigh 240lbs. The forks i got had eibach springs in them but the number on the springs does not show up on the eibach site so i am unsure of the spring rate. I need to get a hold of eibach and find that out.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

At your weight, most times the springs would be too light. Have you tried loosening the clickers? Since you had the springs out I assume you changed the oil so we can rule out a bone head that had the forks before you putting in 40 weight or something. Another thing to look for is stiction in the forks. There are procedures on the site that tell you the order and steps to tighten all the pinch bolts so the forks won't bind. It's real common for folks to tighten the lower triple tree way too much. I've tried a number of used bikes at shops to find the forks bind.

Being a plumber, your hands are probably like vises anyway , so skip the exercise. I noticed right away when I put a steering damper on my bike that my arms felt way better, I grip the bars a lot lighter now. I'd say make sure your forks are as good as they can be first, and if that doesn't get you there look for a good damper.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220