Goofy front forks "feeling"

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Goofy front forks "feeling"

Post by Mark W »

I went to tie the dirt bikes into the back of the pick-up and noticed that my right side fork (as you are sitting on the bike) seems to compress much more easily that the left side. I don't think I am imagining this as I can easily pull on the right side tie down to get the tire tight against the front of the bed. Then I pull on the left and get it as tight as is needed. When going back to the right, I can still pull more.

This make any sense? What did I break now. Come to think of it, I think it has been this way for awhile, I just idn't pay any attention to it.

When sitting on the bike and pushing down it seems fine. When the front wheel is against a wall and I push down it seems fine as well.

Hoping for a nice weekend to go riding with the new tire and all. Here's to no rain....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You would have to disassemble the forks to know for sure. Maybe your clickers are not set the same or you have a failed spring.

It's not really safe to run it that way since a deflection could send you to the ground.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

It is the "Law of Leverage" I notice that also when doing a "Tie Down"
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Was this tie down event at the end of the days ride or at the beginning of the day? I find all kinds of stuff wrong with mine at end of the day. But a little time sitting in the garage at it all fixes it self. gremlins again?
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
TD3

Post by TD3 »

I don't know about your bike.....but.....on my bikes both forks compress at the same time :razz:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Mark wrote:This make any sense? What did I break now. Come to think of it, I think it has been this way for awhile, I just idn't pay any attention to it.
Oh-oh. That means my bike is broken, too! The good thing is, though...is that it's always been broken (that way).

For starters, the first pull is levering the bike off of center, but the second pull is from overcenter because of the way the bike is leaning (plus, as stated, the first pull got, '....the tire tight against the front of the bed.) Go back to the first pulled side...and you're pulling off of center again.

Actually I take it all back! Mine is opposite!..in that to start with I can easily pull the left side of my bike.

I guess that indeed means it IS broke!! :wink:

..just kidding.

Tie it down starting on the other side. The fact that what you describe will happen in any case doesn't necessarily mean one of your forks doesn't have no oil in it..and the spring's not broke!

I'm not sure what the 'Law of Leverage' is...but this is it! :wink:

Aha! Google saves the day again!!

The law of Leverage : Certain things you do enable you to accomplish vastly more that you would if you spent the same amount of time in other activities.
(sic) You gonna trust someones 'law' when they can't even fix their typos? Huh?

I guess that clears it all up. Whew!

Ha! All those words that end up saying nuthin'! Again...it's a good thing I get paid by the word!!!

Ride safe! this weekend.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
mattR

Post by mattR »

Maybe lost some oil from a leaky seal. Any oil stain or oily dirt residue on the lower fork?

If still not sure and it bugs you pull the wheel and the forks and then your use body weight leaning over the forks one at a time to see if they feel very different when compressed.
97 KDX 220