What to check on delivery of new KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
gtoron

What to check on delivery of new KDX?

Post by gtoron »

OK guys. Picking up my KDX on FRI at the dealer. I figured on checking trans fluid ,cables basic stuff like that.

Should I test run the bike? Run it through the gears? Anything else I should check or do before I pick up?

The dealer is little far so I wanto to make sure everthing is OK before I leave. :grin:
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Sure you should perform a test run at the dealer. When we purchased our first NEW KDX 200 last year the transmission countershaft bearing or (internal transmission bearings) seemed to be tight due to rolling resistance. Dealer made note of it on our sales slip so if we had problems we essentially had another 3 monthes warrenty on whatever condition was causing this. (Purchased bike in December came with a six month warrenty which would have started the day of the sale but would be unable to ride the bike until April at the earliest so he started the warrenty period in April)

I always break in my engine with three or more heat cycles so I will not "run it through the gears" but I would up shift and down shift through all the gears to ensure everything seemed to be working well. I would essentially do the first heat cycle (15 minutes) at the dealer if location, time and weather permitted.

Do not expect 1st gear engagement to be smooth as a broke in bike and don't expet the jetting to "right on".
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:Sure you should perform a test run at the dealer. When we purchased our first NEW KDX 200 last year the transmission countershaft bearing or (internal transmission bearings) seemed to be tight due to rolling resistance. Dealer made note of it on our sales slip so if we had problems we essentially had another 3 monthes warrenty on whatever condition was causing this. (Purchased bike in December came with a six month warrenty which would have started the day of the sale but would be unable to ride the bike until April at the earliest so he started the warrenty period in April)

I always break in my engine with three or more heat cycles so I will not "run it through the gears" but I would up shift and down shift through all the gears to ensure everything seemed to be working well. I would essentially do the first heat cycle (15 minutes) at the dealer if location, time and weather permitted.

Do not expect 1st gear engagement to be smooth as a broke in bike and don't expet the jetting to "right on".
When you say run through the gears please explain.Do you mean hard through the gears do not do or can I do a lite throttle shifting through the gears? Also please explain heat cycle also.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

When someone says to me "I tested the bike and ran it through the gears" to me - that means - hard accleration through all the gears. I would not do that personnally with a brand new engine. But I would want to make sure the bike shifted smoothly into every gear and there was no unusual noises - hence shift the gearbox but not with the intent of checking out the bike's acceleration potential. Light throttle shifting through the gears = ok in my book.

Heat cycle is just that you allow the engine to warm-up to normal operating temperature and then allow it to cool completely. Normally something along the lines of 15 minutes with a light load using the first three- four gears followed by a 30-45 minute cool down. Repeat heat cycle another couple of times each time loading the engine a little harder by using more throttle and higher gears. After the third cooling cycle ride the bike like you would normally for tank of fuel without WOT for more than a few seconds and try to advoid consistent rpms for extended period of time. Then fine tune jet it and ride normally. Lots of articles if you do an internet search - many opinions from ride it like you stole it from the start to baby it for the first 500 miles.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

Thanks for the info. :grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'New' as in new to you, or brand new?

Not so much a 'test before you take it home' as what to do after you GET it home, but there is quite a list for that.

Assume nothing to be greased...'cuz it isn't.

Disassemble the rear suspension, including the swingarm pivot bolt. Take the front end of the bike off (steering stem out of the frame).

Clean everything and relubricate with a good waterproof grease. The grease will cost you about $5 for a tub, it will take you a few hours, and it will save you a good bunch of $$ in the very near future.

...none of which has ANYthing to do with your question!

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:'New' as in new to you, or brand new?

Not so much a 'test before you take it home' as what to do after you GET it home, but there is quite a list for that.

Assume nothing to be greased...'cuz it isn't.

Disassemble the rear suspension, including the swingarm pivot bolt. Take the front end of the bike off (steering stem out of the frame).

Clean everything and relubricate with a good waterproof grease. The grease will cost you about $5 for a tub, it will take you a few hours, and it will save you a good bunch of $$ in the very near future.

..none of which has ANYthing to do with your question!

Cheers!
Brand new. Greasing everthing was a given...from what I heard. Dealers never seem to do that.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You'd better hope they don't!!!

Last thing you want is some shop monkey taking your bike apart, 'eh?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

gtoron, there is a list on the JustKDX site of what to do (maintenance wise) upon receipt of a new bike (or a used one thats new to you). Second everyones greasing recommendations (clean and regrease linkage, clean and repack steering head). Stay on top of that.

I'd also recommend radiator guards and a pipe guard.
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
crazybrit wrote:gtoron, there is a list on the JustKDX site of what to do (maintenance wise) upon receipt of a new bike (or a used one thats new to you). Second everyones greasing recommendations (clean and regrease linkage, clean and repack steering head). Stay on top of that.

I'd also recommend radiator guards and a pipe guard.
Thanks for the info. Funny thing I have been to the Justkdx sight and looked at that page. My web brower "Netscape" showed nothing on the page. When I used Internet explorer I could see the info.