handlebar vibration

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

handlebar vibration

Post by scheckaet »

What can i do to reduce the handlebar vibration?
After a few minutes of pushing the bike (as far as my skills can take it) my hands are gettig numb :?
I 've read on a post somewhere that stuffing the bars with silicon or expanding foam would help.
what is the best way to do it and does it really work :hmm: or should I simply try 1 of'em snake?

Any comment much appreciated :supz:

Wilf
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just loosen your grip and get a stabilizer.

Are you using solid mount bars or something?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

my bike is stock...
what kind of stabilizer would you recommend? is it the same thing as a steering damper? If it is, is there any alternative to the WER, they look pricey...
I guess I'll just have to relax my grip! :grin:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yup both the same thing. The WER IS one of the cheapest. :grin:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:shock: well I guess this will be 1 more thing to add on the already long wish list :sad:
I will have to run wheellies all the time, should solve the problem right? :mrgreen:
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Just loosen your grip and get a stabilizer.
I second that! A while back on the first 5 miles of a 60 mile trail ride on a bike with steel bars I had a disagreement with a couple of trees, seams they didn't like the bend of my bars so they changed them for me. the bars were not to my liking after but I learned that you only need them to twist the gas and pull the clutch and break. you should really be holding on with your knees a bit more.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I guess if I want to be great in wheelies, I'd really need to remove both of my practice wheels ...I'm a big boy now :lol:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The KDX has practically zero/nada/zip vibration because the bars are isolated (rubber bushed thru the top clamp).

OK...not rubber...but black 'stuff' urethane, silicon whatever.

BTW...that's something that contributes to the bars appearing to be bent after a git-off or tree-smooch, but it can be the bars just tweaked and held in (the wrong) attitude via the bushings. A one-piece top clamp helps that a LOT.

There are many options that are supposed to help vibration..but methinks none of them would help the KDX a whole lot..because there isn't much vibration to start with.

All of that to say I agree with the what's already been said. You're hanging on way too tight! Slide up into the saddle, squeeze with your knees...if you're sitting.

Have fun!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

CC went on a posting spree on all the threads today. Pretty much left me with nothing...except for maybe this thread. :mrgreen:

Vibration on the KDX is next to ZERO when compared to MX two stokes and even the beloved "Orange" bikes. The rubber bar mounts help, but MY KX has rubber mounts also...and it vibrates way more than the KDX. The KDX feels like an XR compared to the KX as far as vibration.

As everyone has stated...riding more relaxed with your hands will help with the "my hands are getting numb ". Squeeze with the Knees! Both when sitting and standing. :wink:

A damper will not reduce vibration. What it will do is reduce any "head shake" and the sudden and sharp twisting of the front end due to "obstacles". This will help keep you more relaxed in your grip...reducing the feeling of having to have a "death grip" to maintain control of the bike. Thus helping with your hand issues. :cool:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote:CC went on a posting spree on all the threads today. Pretty much left me with nothing...except for maybe this thread. :mrgreen:
I did never!!

..and I'll never do it again!!

But I did forget the damper part!

Yep. A WER is less expensive than some..maybe most. It also doesn't work as well as at least some others, a Scotts in particular.

A damper may be part of getting you to grip less hard, but it doesn't cure the habit. The WER works with the KX forks MUCH better than with the OEM KYBs. My riding buddy used to follow me and make nice comments like, 'Your damper ain't doin' $hit!'

..but...he was probably just trying to make me feel better about it! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!