Clutch works while the motor is on, but not when it' off ???

Got questions? We got answers....
beeds3000

Clutch works while the motor is on, but not when it' off ???

Post by beeds3000 »

If my 97 KDX 200 is put in gear while it is not running and you pull in the clutch lever and hold it in you still aren't able to roll the bike, like you would with a car or street bike the rear tire just drags, but when the bike is running and you have it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in it will roll fine are they suppose to do this because I thought not???? if not why doesn't mine roll when it is in gear with the motor off and the clutch pulled in ?????
Geoff T. Biderman
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's normal.... relax and have a cold one! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'if not why doesn't mine roll when it is in gear with the motor off and the clutch pulled in ?????'

Because the motor isn't running.

That was a cheap shot, 'eh?

The clutch is a big stack of plates, some friction material some metal, that are squeezed together with clutch springs. When you pull the lever with the motor running the spinning of the basket those plates are in forces oil between the plates 'unsticking' them so they are no longer 'connected' one to the other.

When the engine isn't running, that isn't happening. Pull the lever, release the spring pressure, but all the plates just pretty much sit there...still stuck together because of the oil bath they're sitting in.

Most cars don't have wet clutches. Well, not cars with manual transmissions anyway. Automatic trannys are full of wet clutches!

BTW...don't ever put an oil marked 'energy saving' in your bike tranny. It does bad things to wet clutches.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!