Handlebar width

Got questions? We got answers....
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Handlebar width

Post by johnkdx220 »

I finally found a very nice set of used barkbusters on e-bay. I wasn't really interested in the Pro-Taper bars but they came with the deal. The seller didn't mention (I didn't ask...) that they were cut to 28in! He must of been riding in very tight woods...

Besides clipping fewer trees in tight trails, are there other benefits to mounting narrow handlebars. Would this create less or more arm/ shoulder fatigue? I ride lots of very technical, slow trails. I'm 5,7, 170lbs, average built rider. I'd like to have your opinion and experience before I mount them just for the kick of it.

Mine are currently 31in wide. How about yours??
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I say try 'em! I cut mine to 29" 'cause with the barkbusters mounted... they extend another inch and a half or so.... So, your right back where you started. I would never do anything to my bike to make it wider without being able to compensate for it. If you don't like 'em... ditch 'em! If your not too scrawny... you can handle 'em just fine.... heck, you may even like 'em! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I cut the bars on my 650 to 30" and my 200 to 29"

Only problem with 30" on my 650 is even with the Kouba mirror extenders I can't see directly behind me without tucking my elbows in.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Here is a reason why you should appreciate the narrow bars: Riding a dirtbike is like doing a million real fast, short pushups with your arms. By having your hands directly under you, and not out to the sides, you should be able to use more of your skeletal strength and less of your muscular strength to ride. This should keep fatigue to a minimum.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Thanks guys for the input. Ouf!... just finished installing these narrow handlebars. Feels like sitting on a tall kdx80! Its so narrow, I had to install the light switch and engine kill switch on the left side because of the front brake reservoir.

Can't wait for that white sh** to melt. I have lots of winter improvements to try and report on: EFM installed, new handlebars, "home made" left hand rear brake system (pretty neet for 45$) and home made pipe guard. I'll post picture soon.
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

I run 29" bars too! They work great once you get used to them. It is like making every trail a little wider ;)

Phil