Exhaust header damage

Got questions? We got answers....
crazybrit

Exhaust header damage

Post by crazybrit »

This bike doesn't crash well :grin: Only fell over once yesterday, low speed but managed to impact the header directly onto an exposed tree root.

Post this, ran very badly at low rpms. Very noticable on the trails. I'm assuming these two events are related :evil: Can't think what else it could be.

I can't afford an FMF right now, KTM friend told me to not bother with a pipe protector since the stock was double walled, just ride it till it gets really badly dented and then when I have the $$$ (and more experience) get the FMF. Little did I know that 1 crash would be the end of the pipe.

Does anyone happen to know if the Moose aluminum protector is long enough to fully cover both sides? The pics on the web are all right side views, don't show if the protector would cover the area I damaged.

Finally ... anyone have a stock header (undented) they'd sell cheaply. I'd rather put the money PacficCrest would charge me fixing this towards an eventual FMF upgrade.

Thanks

Tony
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Dirt Rider magizine did an article on dented pipes. Unfortunately where yours is dented is the place where it makes a difference.

It actually said in the first 6 inches. But that's close enough in my book especially when it is running badly.

In other places sometimes it helped.

You might be able to find a used stock pipe on eBay really cheap. I think I bought one for $9 + shipping.... your mileage may vary...

I think my pipe guard is an MSR and it covers both ends. At least where yours is dented.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

You might be able to find a used stock pipe on eBay really cheap. I think I bought one for $9 + shipping.... your mileage may vary...
I'm hoping it doesn't vary too much :grin: Yeah I'm checking eBay but I'd rather be out riding than surfing so I figured maybe someone here had one for sale cheaply.

If someone who has a Moose protector could measure it's length I'd appreciate it. If it's not long enough to prevent a repeat of this I guess I'll look into making one out of fiberglass.

t
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Mine is on an FMF Gnarley Woods pipe, and goes from where the header just starts to take a turn down, all the way across and up really high on the largest section. It's taken some pretty good whacks, with no damage to the pipe. I'm pretty surprised that you were able to do what you did to the stocker though, Nice job!
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

How about this:

Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Image Can it take that?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

It can, I can't.
Mike

'04 KDX220
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Whoops. :rolleyes: Deleted my own post. :oops: When you go back to edit one of your posts...don't click the "X" button. :blink:

I had two dented OEM pipes. One went with the KDX...I still have one.

Anyone who says you don't pipe protection, has never riden in AZ. :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

I have a stock pipe and silencer sitting on the shelf. It's hardly worth charging you $9 for it but if you want to pay shipping, you can HAVE it.

Shoot me an e-mail at bakimsey@bacavalley.com if'n ya wants it.

Now me...I'm looking for green shrouds and a black or green tank. I'm tired of looking at purple. Tell ya what I'd REALLY like is a "natural" tank so I could see how much gas I have left.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

I'm not sure I'll get an answer to this (since I doubt many people give the stocker more than 2seconds thought) but here goes ....

Anyone know if a 95/96 KDX200 expansion chamber will work on a 220? Looks like there was a part# change in 1997. 95/96 is 18120-1073, 97+ is 18120-1074

Anyone have an idea what the change is? I assume something changed but maybe it's just the hue of the paint :-))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well FMF calls for the same pipes 95 and up KDX anything....

Nothing has changed that much to even make a difference.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Well FMF calls for the same pipes 95 and up KDX anything....

Nothing has changed that much to even make a difference.
Thanks Inda. Yeah I noticed the FMF thing also. Stoopid Kawi part# changes.
TEEEE

Post by TEEEE »

crazy brit, I noticed you're in Portland. I've got a stocker (with minimal denting) off my 2000 KDX 200 sitting in my garage in Wilsonville. If you decide it will fit, you're welcome to it. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

-T
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Crazy idea :rolleyes: . How about this: fill the pipe with water, plug both ends with a big cork or ... something and then freeze the whole thing. (you'll need a big deep freezer and probably some serious skills to convince the wife or girlfriend... :mrgreen: )
Don't know if it would work, it might simply crack open the pipe and ruin it for good but I figured if you're going to get a new one, might as well give it a shot. (if it splits, you might even be able to make a pipe guard out of it! :boogie: )
If you do try it, let me know how it turns out.
Good luck
:please:
Wilf
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

scheckaet, I've heard you need to get the timing exactly right freezing. The dent will pop first (at least on a thin walled pipe) but shortly after you'll crack the welds. Maybe mount a wireless camera inside the freezer, solve the dilemma of the fridge light at the same time :)

I think if I wanted to fix it the cheapest way would be to weld a rod to the pipe (safe for the stocker I think), pull out the dent and then grind off the weld. Only thing I'm not sure of here is whether the 95+ pipe is actually double walled and if so whether this would pull out both layers. I know it's not the same double design as the earlier rev pipe as you can't do the remove inner lining performance mod to get a larger chamber.

Or cut that entire dented section of pipe out, fix it, weld it back on.

Or buy one of those fix kits off eBay. Anyone spent the $75.00 on one? There is one for sale there now. Something about compressed air and a blow-torch (plus carbon buildup) just seems a bad idea to me. I don't want my tombstone to read "head blown off in an attempt to save $50".

But given how cheap the stockers are used .....