Carb woes....

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Carb woes....

Post by Indawoods »

Well...

I have had this carb apart 22 times. Checking cleaning changing jets adjusting floats and adjusting the needle.

I cleaned the tank, disassembled and cleaned the petcock.

Throttle is set correctly at 1-2mm play.

Here's the problem. It runs great for about 30 seconds... then the R's drop and finally dies.

Why?

Here's what it has:

Needle 1174 on the 3rd clip position (It was starving for fuel in the middle)
155 main
45 pilot

It was peeing but I burmished the seat, cleaned and checked the float valve and set the float to about 17mm... now it don't pee.

This is driving me nuts as I got the rest of the bike in tip-top shape. It was doing this when I got it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

OK so I assume we have a solid steady stream with the line of at the carb and the valve turned on. Next open the drain on the carb and see if the needle and seat will flow a good stream out the drain. from there your on your own. I just get the impresion it has a restriction some where and when it sits the float bowl is replenished but it wont keep up with the bike running. Just trying to help you think!
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Check for intake air leaks......

Ron
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's what I've been reading. But, it seems to me that an intake leak would cause it to rev..... I'm probably wrong though....

I'll check it out. What do you guys use? WD, carb cleaner or what?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Carb cleaner, get a can of AIR (Compressed to blow the jets out) Are the Vent tubes blocked or very old??? Maybe put in a new pilot
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have a compressor and use that, I made sure the vent tubes were clear (they are old er... very old.... 11 years old)

If I can't find any air leaks with the carb cleaner... I will try a new pilot. Thank goodness I have extras! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The more I read on it Ron, the more it makes sense. Thanks for the input!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If you have 'spares' you can 'spare up' an external float level gauge. That will tell you what the actual level in the bowl is doing....you will be able to SEE it! The other stuff related to flow testing doesn't let you WATCH what's happening.

That's probably not the problem, but it's something you can verify with your eyeballs.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... it was the pilot jet.

After replacing the intake gasket it was still dying. Pulled out the pilot and there was green stuff all over it. What the... :shock:

Dug out another 45 and she idling like a dream now.

Thanks guys!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The 'green stuff' was NOT there the other 21 times it was apart?

Consider the source

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:The 'green stuff' was NOT there the other 21 times it was apart?
It was probably a "GREMLIN"
Those little BASTARDS come at the dammdest times
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nope... it wasn't. Don't ask me why.... 'cause I don't know.

I took everything apart... and I mean everything! Soaked all metal parts in Berrymans overnight.... recleaned all parts with carb cleaner and made sure all passages were clear, reassembled carb. Took apart several other times to make needle changes and float bowl height changes and to burmish the needle valve seat. AND THE GREEN STUFF WASN"T THERE! So there! :kick:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX_Kuhn

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

Green Stuff? Was it green tire "SLIME" residue? Maybe someone sabotaged your gas tank? A "FRIEND" :twisted: of mine did that to me once and the bike ran crappy for a week. I cleaned my tank out and never had another issue. I never cleaned my carb though, so I'm not exactly sure if the deposits are greenish. Sometimes riding alone has its advantages.
2003 KDX220R
1972 Rupp 440!

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No.... it looked like what brass gets on it when it is really corroded. And... that stuff was proly lurking inside the pilot jet and the cleanings started breaking it down.

That's all I can figure.... :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:No.... it looked like what brass gets on it when it is really corroded. And... that stuff was proly lurking inside the pilot jet and the cleanings started breaking it down.

That's all I can figure.... :neutral:
I hate cleaning pilot jets. Especially old ones. Is there a trick to it?

On my KLR I could not get it clean no matter how much I soaked it or blew carb cleaner thru it. Took it into the dealer, they blew compressed air into it (thanks :-) and handed it back to me, totally blocked.

In the end I got a new jet and all was well again.

KDX was the same way. I'd get it pretty good, give it one more blast of carb cleaner or air, let that dry and it would be constricted again. I'd have to run plastic line thru it to open it up.

Clearly a job for a nano-technology chimney sweep.
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

What has been useful to me when I took apart my carb was those little files welders always have with them. (You know the ones they use to clean the tip of their welding/cutting torches ...) :wink:

It workrd great when I had to use them !
1981 KDX 175
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Every pilot jet I've checked for 'clarity' has been plugged up. I don't know if it's the holes on the sides or the shape of the egress but I just don't see through 'em at all.

That makes it real easy for them to be plugged up and not know it.

As soft as brass is, I don't know that I'd want to attack it with a metal file....maybe a drill bit? :hmm:

Consider the source

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Ron Black had mentioned in a post to me that guitar strings work well for jets and carb passages.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

My current jetting:

G-D-DEK/4-TV7

(Using an 11-52 set)

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

9-42's man myself! :supz: 'course...that'd be 'lectric on a Dean Flying V!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****