Summer storage question

Got questions? We got answers....
Bailey28

Summer storage question

Post by Bailey28 »

Hey,

Since the weather here has gotten into the mid 90's continually, I have decided as I do every summer to put the bike up until the fall. I usually drain the tank and float bowl, plug the exhaust, throw a teaspoon or so of 2R into the cylinder, change the oil and air up the tires. I clean the air filter then coat the bike in WD40. It sits untouched until I get it out again in Sept.

My neighbor, who also rides and prides himself on attending the last ever CZ factory mechanic school, says:

"Dude, you shouldn't leave the bike all summer, the crank seals will dry out, and you know on a Kawi you have to split the cases and replace them...You need to run the thing every few weeks or so... "

What do you think? Has anyone ever had a seal or other failure due to storage? I stored my old YZ250 last summer like this, and come fall it was fine. BTW, the bike will be in an enclosed garage.
FAZ
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Should be fine.....I've never had a crank seal go bad on any newer bike, and mine sit a lot...LOL. I do generally just park them, and fire them up every few weeks.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Our bikes generally sit for about 7-8 months a year (late fall/winter/spring) and we have never had a problem. I generally do about the same as you but do not use WD40 over the whole bike. (just the chain, pivot points on pegs, kicker, shock shaft)
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

What?? park the bike thats crazy talk. do people really do that kinda stuf I heard stories but thought it was just that. :?
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Krazyinski - likely depends upon where you live.

Kinda hard to ride in deep snow - that is why many bikers turn to snowmachines for winter fun even in the high desert of Idaho. I guess you could travel a few hundred miles to ride at lower elevations but the high from riding sleds (on a good day in powder) is a good offset to dirt biking. Lotsa people make trips to Nevada or New Mexico or Arizona for dirt biking in the winter.

What is really crazy IMO is the four months a year where it is hard to do either. Too much snow for dirt biking and too little for good sledding. :cry:

FWIW - On one side of Swan Valley we rode dirt bikes pretty much where ever we wanted (little snow ~7500') two weeks ago and yesterday my youngest boy and I were stopped at maybe 7000' by snow on the other side of the valley: we have been having weather in the upper 70s and 80's for the last couple of weeks.

I guessing "ClutchCover" who is on this forum has been riding trials in his area for six weeks or so. (he lives about 50 miles from me)
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
James_09

Summer storage question

Post by James_09 »

I Was wondering if those with experience with summer storage units etc., would take the time to list any hints or suggestions they have from doing this in past. I would be even more grateful to get recommendations for companies that provide summer storage in Canberra.
Sheky_09

Summer storage question

Post by Sheky_09 »

I put my car and bike into self storage in Brendale as soon as summer approaches. I am happy with Elite self storage firm that perks their clients with guaranteed and insured facilities.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Summer storage question

Post by diymirage »

no summer storage here in Michigan, summer is the peak time for biking
but for winter storage, do as was mentioned 8 YEARS AGO and fire her up every month or so
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Summer storage question

Post by s10gto »

Sounds to me your treating her right. :grin: Heck I didn't do half of that with my YZ250 for about 4-5 years in the basement. Fresh fuel and see was ready to rip. :twisted:
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Summer storage question

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Wow putting a bike up in storage during the summer with mid 90s temps? That's just very odd to me as it gets up to 105 or so here in the summer and I still wouldn't even think about parking them, the only time I don't ride is a few days during the winter here and there.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
Mini_09

Summer storage question

Post by Mini_09 »

Thankfully, self storage in Paddington is just a few miles drive from my house and I can easily accommodate all type of my commercial and residential storage needs.