clutch problems

Got questions? We got answers....

clutch problems

Postby jophmu » 09:51 pm Jun 07 2006

I think the clutch is going. When not cranked, sometimes it won't go into first. All the way down is neutral. When running, it will shift down to first just fine. When in gear, with the clutch pulled in , it pulls a little while feathering the throttle. While still and running, I put in first and it will stall out with the clutch lever still pulled in. I have to take off quick.

Appreciate any help
jophmu
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 12:33 pm Jun 07 2006
Location: Augusta, GA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby Indawoods » 10:01 pm Jun 07 2006

Sounds like a plate sticking problem that may be recrified by changing your clutch oil.

When was the last time you changed it? And what did you use?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
User avatar
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder
 
Posts: 9951
Joined: 09:59 am Jun 12 2003
Location: Midwest
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: clutch problems

Postby jophmu » 10:04 pm Jun 07 2006

>|<>QBB<
jophmu wrote:I think the clutch is going. When not cranked, sometimes it won't go into first. All the way down is neutral. When running, it will shift down to first just fine. When in gear, with the clutch pulled in , it pulls a little while feathering the throttle. While still and running, I put in first and it will stall out with the clutch lever still pulled in. I have to take off quick.

Appreciate any help


Actually, I just changed the clutch cover gasket and I used 10 W40
jophmu
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 12:33 pm Jun 07 2006
Location: Augusta, GA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby Indawoods » 10:10 pm Jun 07 2006

Did you try adjusting the cable?

KDX clutches are known to be kinda sticky.... your bike will creep while in gear usually and usually it is very hard to push if not lockup the rear wheel in gear with the motor not running.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
User avatar
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder
 
Posts: 9951
Joined: 09:59 am Jun 12 2003
Location: Midwest
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Postby jophmu » 10:17 pm Jun 07 2006

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Did you try adjusting the cable?

KDX clutches are known to be kinda sticky.... your bike will creep while in gear usually and usually it is very hard to push if not lockup the rear wheel in gear with the motor not running.


I did that also. I adjusted the cable to have a little more tension. I put a whole quart except for about 2 or 3 ounces. Is that about right?
jophmu
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 12:33 pm Jun 07 2006
Location: Augusta, GA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Postby Indawoods » 10:22 pm Jun 07 2006

Yea... that's to quiet down the clutch.

Sounds like you need to find the right oil.... some use Mobil1 ATF and some use Bel-Ray Gearsaver
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
User avatar
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder
 
Posts: 9951
Joined: 09:59 am Jun 12 2003
Location: Midwest
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Postby Indawoods » 10:39 pm Jun 07 2006

You could also have a broken or weak clutch spring, this will cause it to not quite disengage all the way.... They need equal tension across the board.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
User avatar
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder
 
Posts: 9951
Joined: 09:59 am Jun 12 2003
Location: Midwest
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Postby jophmu » 10:42 pm Jun 07 2006

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:You could also have a broken or weak clutch spring, this will cause it to not quite disengage all the way.... They need equal tension across the board.


Thanks a lot. I'll check that out in the morning.
jophmu
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 12:33 pm Jun 07 2006
Location: Augusta, GA
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time


Return to KDX General Q&A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests