Getting air box IN/OUT of stripped down frame ???

Got questions? We got answers....
beeds3000

Getting air box IN/OUT of stripped down frame ???

Post by beeds3000 »

I recently stripped my KDX 200 down to the frame to have the frame powder coated, it took some work but I got the air box out pulling hard on it, but now that it is going to be freshly painted how do I go about getting it back in with out force to keep from damaging the new paint??? do I have to take it apart or is there a trick ?
Geoff T. Biderman
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

My reason for taking the airbox out was far dumber than yours. I just wanted to "wash it real good". I broke a sweat getting that muthah back in there, and have no idea how I did it. And to think there is some Japanese lady on the line at Kawasaki Heavy Industries winging those things in hundreds of times a day while talking to her friends boggles the mind.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I take mine off everytime I clean my bike (almost every ride). I just take the left hand side subframe section out and pop it in. Mine isn't really a struggle. :hmm:
Colorado Mike wrote: And to think there is some Japanese lady on the line at Kawasaki Heavy Industries winging those things in hundreds of times a day while talking to her friends boggles the mind.
Well she won't be doing any KDX's again in a hurry. :cry:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That sounds like the ticket. :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i did the same to mine, i acutally took the whole thing apart. It took me about 1 hour to get it back together after i found out it wasnt suppose to come apart. It can be put back in you just got to find the right way to do it.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: wash real good.

There are intake covers you bolt in in place of the air filter. Then you can wash the inside of the box as 'real good' as you wanna.

No..that doesn't cover painting the frame, but it does cover cleaning.

All these years...and I've never broke a sweat worrying about it. I've been missing out!! :shock:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

while you have that ornery piece of plastic out you might as well go for the gusto and waterproof that box real good. take the boot, retainer ring, filter holder etc. all apart and squirt some GOOP on the recessesed slots on the screw thread side of the filter holder that goes inside the airbox. I also did the carb intake boot where the flange goes on and into the airbox. Little thing I have always done to every bike I own. Then I saw it on the set-up video by Jeff Fredette. Speaking of the video. Do it all right and make a little mud flap rig like the one he makes that fits in the gap in front of the airbox to the frame cross member that supports the tank.
It is a bit of a motion like something the basket guy does at collection at church. He kinda swoops in and out of that pew, sweeping up all your spare change like a pro! It definitely helps to take off the subframe.