just sharing my kdx cooling fan system

1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: kdx cooling fans

Post by Chuck78 »

Very nice!
A lot of guys will argue all day long that if you need cooling fans on a 95+ KDX, that something is wrong with your bike, as "KDX's never overheat."
I ride with a Mylers temperature gauge radiator cap, and 99.5% of the time, that is true...
What the naysayers argue with just simply tells me they only ride easy to moderate terrain trails, and never do any hard enduro, never do steep rock garden climbs in hot humid weather with slippery rocks and roots, and never get stuck in mud where they're moving 0mph and reving 8000 RPM trying to get unstuck...
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Chuck78 wrote: 07:55 pm Nov 23 2023 Very nice!
A lot of guys will argue all day long that if you need cooling fans on a 95+ KDX, that something is wrong with your bike, as "KDX's never overheat."
I ride with a Mylers temperature gauge radiator cap, and 99.5% of the time, that is true...
What the naysayers argue with just simply tells me they only ride easy to moderate terrain trails, and never do any hard enduro, never do steep rock garden climbs in hot humid weather with slippery rocks and roots, and never get stuck in mud where they're moving 0mph and reving 8000 RPM trying to get unstuck...
thats right, can't have zero airflow from riding slow or zero movement and the engine still keeps cool, that goes against 100 years of radiator design
also i think tribalism plays a large part, to own a kdx is to be part of a group or club, you can't have a guy just join that club and he says there is a different way to do things, there is comfort in many people saying and doing the same thing,its very reassuring
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Nice job on fitting everything up. I used to think my KDX wouldn’t benefit from a fan but that’s until I followed my daughter on her new quad down trails for 30 minutes or so going very slow. I have to take the lead for 5 minutes every now and then to kick the temps down with some airflow.
jaunt

Post by jaunt »

Awesome, thanks for posting, I'm going to do a similar setup on my 89, I think the Tusk single fan kit. It always runs cool until you get to steep, slow trails, which is par for Colorado.

And agreed, people who say they're not needed ride easy trails.