91 KDX fork springs

Got questions? We got answers....
mboyd1

91 KDX fork springs

Post by mboyd1 »

Hello,
I have just purchased my first KDX after hearing so much about them. It is a 1991 and the forks are way too soft for my 200lbs. Dont know if it is my weight or the age of the springs. I should probably stiffen them with new springs, but there are some other things on it I need to use the $$ on to fix first. Is the cutting of the springs worth trying to get me by?
Thanks
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The stock springs on a E series KDX (89-94) are .29kg which is too light for the bike by itself, much less the person riding it. I'd be concerned that by the time you cut the springs to make enough of a difference you'd be getting coil bind. I'd just go ahead and ride them as is after changing the oil. Spend your $$$ doing the basic mods and fixes then i'd start saving some scratch to convert the front end to a KX front end. I just finished doing the conversion on my 89 KDX and the difference between the stockers and the KX forks is night and day.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Although they aren't really, springs are commonly considered to be linear in rate. In any case, removal of any spring coils will absolutely effect the load they can carry...you don't take a .29kkg/mm spring that maxes out at 500lbs, cut coils off of it to end up with .40kg/mm spring good for 800.

'Correct' suspension is often overlooked or put on hold due to other 'stuff' that needs fixing. That is often a misguided approach. 'More better' in the way of suspension is every bit as important not only go-fast-wise but safetey-wise as your common powerplant tweaks.

Springs are not expensive. They are easy to install. Used springs are often a good choice if you're tuning..less $$ outlay.

Not to put too fine a point to it, but cutting springs is not what you want to consider, let alone do.

BTW...increasing the preload spacer size won't work (right) either.

Welcome to the KDXRider board!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!