Sag problem

Got questions? We got answers....
Ecarta

Sag problem

Post by Ecarta »

Hello KDXERS,
I recently installed a new 6.0/kg rear shock spring to replace the stock 5.0/kg on my 2004 KDX200. I'm a big boy at 250 lbs. RACE TECH website recommended that spring given I am 52yo and prefer soft suspension on very technical rocky singletrack trail riding I do here in Central PA.

ANYWAY, upon setting the sag I noticed I needed to screw the lockrings over halfway down the shock. And I still was at 140mm of race sag and 70mm of static sag. The spring had so much tension it was pogo-ing terribly. To get it to 100mm Sag I would have needed to set pre load past where the 5.0 spring was. Does this seem right to you?

So eased off some preload a couple turns and increased rebound damping. Seemed ok...My ride the next day was a disaster. It didn't initially seem like a huge difference but I had difficulty controlling the bike as I normally do. Was riding technical singletrack and fireroad. Bike seemed unsettled the more I rode.

Maybe just having a bad day? IDK. Bike is used and I have no idea when the shock was serviced last. Could that be it? Is my spring too stiff? Should I get a softer spring or get shock rebuilt first? I just inspected and greased all suspension/swingarm bearings.

Let me know ur thoughts, thanks!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Sag problem

Post by SS109 »

The RaceTech recommendations are pretty spot on IME. Are you sure they sent you the correct spring?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

That’s weird especially considering you were able to set it to 100 with the 5.0 spring and now can’t. When you look at the spring It’ll have a white part number on it. The last 2 digits of the part number are the spring rate.
Im 225 and my suspension guy recently put a 5.8 spring and I used to have a 5.4. The locking rings are clearly higher than they used to be which is what you’d expect. The fact that you’re dialed way down either means the shock is blown and needs rebuilt or maybe they sent you the wrong spring like SS said.
I would check the not only the last two digits but the whole part number compared with the racetech website part number.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It may be 20 years since it was serviced and charged. I suggest you get it serviced.

What do you weigh with all your gear on? This includes water backpack, tools, luggage rack, spare parts, etc.

622860 would be the part number at that rate.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128