Kdx220 piston design explained

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxdazz

Kdx220 piston design explained

Post by kdxdazz »

Been meaning to put together a video on the kdx220 Vs kdx200 stock piston comparison, here it is

1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kdx220 piston design explained

Post by SS109 »

:supz: Excellent video covering the issues. Glad you finally see it wasn't just BS. I think your planned mods for the stock KDX220 piston are smart and hopefully will rectify most, if not all, of the problems with it. Please keep us posted on how it holds up.

Now, on to some of the things you asked about. The open port on the intake side of the piston, along with the bottom edge below it, control when and how much fuel can enter the crankcase ie: intake port timing. The "chambers" on the side of the piston help carry fuel to the transfer ports in the cylinder itself.

On the rings, yes, the one with the groove will carry more oil but has less surface area so I personally think it's a wash as to which will actually last longer. Of course, the extra oil it carries would be nice on the exhaust bridge, which is probably what Kawasaki was thinking, so I would lean toward maybe it's the slightly better option.

Forged vs cast. Cast works just fine IMO/IME, as long as you don't use it for too long depending on riding type. That's why you hear most people opt to change them at about 100 hours of use. Personally, I've run cast much longer than that without issue but I'm a fairly mellow off road rider and not an MX'er. Cast will never live as long as a forged just due to the metallurgy of the two. As you know, metal fatigues over time and at different rates depending on the material it's made from and how it's run. Cast pistons actually expand faster due to their less dense grain structure, yet expand less, hence why they don't require near as much warm up time, and can run tighter cold piston to cylinder clearances, vs their forged counterparts. The place I see some people get in trouble with forged is not having the proper sidewall clearance when cold to allow for expansion as the piston heats up. That said, forged pistons of today expand much less than the forged pistons from 30+ years ago because of improved metallurgy and closer manufacturing tolerances. Following the aftermarket piston manufacturer's recommendation for sidewall clearance on forged pistons, over what OEM says, is a must!

The only critique I have on your video is to turn your camera sideways, if your camera allows it, next time as it will make for a better view for the details you are trying to show. Otherwise, great vid!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

glad just 1 person likes my vid on a 20 year old mystery lol, i'll experiment with changing the camera to the side but might need a taller tripod, i'll post before and after photos of the deburring process

have the piston and cylinder in front of me now and still can't work out the chambers in the piston,i see they cross the path of the transfer ports but they are never open to the crankcase so how does fuel get into the chambers? do you have any articles or diagrams to show the workings of this?

actually as ive been looking i see the centre of the chambers line up exactly with the bridge between the transfer ports so now i'm more confused
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, trying to actually see how the ports work and transfer fuel/air is tough! I was told that years ago by an old 2T mechanic but, you know, looking at it now I don't see how that would work on the KDX's cylinder. Looks like it's probably more likely there to help lubricate the piston/transfer port edge. I might have to make some inquiries to get to the bottom of this.
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

My guess is lubrication too but I good example of how myths begin, we hear something and repeat it only to find out 10 years later it wasn't true
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

kdxdazz wrote: 01:54 pm Jun 07 2023 My guess is lubrication too but I good example of how myths begin, we hear something and repeat it only to find out 10 years later it wasn't true
So true.
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for the various videos on your channel. I watched several.

This is a very good one. I appreciate you showing the differences.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128