MSR gear shift question...

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

MSR gear shift question...

Post by Colorado Mike »

I got me a spiffy MSR forged aluminum shifter today and found it jams on my magneto cover. Do these things bend without breaking, or are they like a hand lever (bend and snap)?

In the mean time I put the kid's KX85 one back on. Those work great. Er, except for the kid getting pissed :oops: , which is why I bought the new one. :roll:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Put it on his and tell him it's an early B-day present.

Problem solved! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I actually did half of that, but kinda would like the new spiffy part on mine. :twisted:
Especially since I'm looking to sell his bikes and get him a 125. :supz:
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Bling sells Mike! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I have one of those cool MSR alum shift levers. :evil: For the KDX, they are junk. Not because of the quality of the shifter...but, for the lack of fitment. :? I could only get it on in one position without it hitting on the engine. Of course that was about two or three splines lower than it needs to be to actually be functional. It currently resides in the pile of useless crap in the corner of the shop. The MSR steel shift lever on the other hand, is similiar in design to the OEM and actually works.

Its aluminum. Bend it and it becomes brittle and breaks. Stick it on the kids bike, throw it in the garbage, or call Tucker Rocky (MSR is a Tucker Rocky brand) and tell them what you think. :wink:

Anyone want an almost new KDX MSR Alum shift lever? :lol: $2 shipped anywere in the US. $8 to CA, UK, or AUS. :wink:

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I went through the exact same pre-****-ament. My MSR only fit when it was low enough to plow. I now use the good ol factory Kawi lever. Is the KX85 a significant improvement?
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I like the KX one because my stocker got bent up and it seemed I could never get it to stay in shape after that. The thing seems needlessly complicated in my opinion. The KX85 unit seems to work pretty well, but it could stand to be a little longer, maybe 1/2" or so. The nice thing is it's real simple and if it does get bent, easy to get back in shape. I run a 12 tooth sprocket on mine, it looks like a 13 would work too, but much bigger than that might be trouble. I guess the MSR is going on the KX .
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've read more'n one bad thing about the MSRs...not only fitment, but stripment, too.

Guess I'll take the one I got back before I open it.........

FWIW...my OEM shifter works fine after five years. Well...the sprung tip is pretty well shot..and I did have the arm/lever welded once, but other than that...it's worked perfectly!

I plan on getting a new OEM piece..and have it welded before it breaks!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!