Chains and cosmoline?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Chains and cosmoline?

Post by Indawoods »

Do you guys usually leave this on O and X ring chains when new?

I'd hate to ruin the lube on the rings by using a solvent..... Besides... Maxima Chain Wax is modeled after Cosmoline... Weird huh?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I wipe most of it off then use WD40 to get the chain pretty and clean then chain lube it with Honda lube. Seems to me like the grease which comes on the chains attracts too much dirt.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I do zactly as IC does. Including the Honda lube which I REALLY like. That stuff doesn't hold sand or dirt.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Changed out my sprockets and chain tonight.... I had been running without a safety clip on the masterlink! :shock:

That could have been disasterous... I have no idea how long it has been like that but I still needed a chain press to get it apart.

I think I will take it out and warm up the chain real good and do as you guys suggested.

Thanks!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "