1989-2006 KDX E-start!

Got questions? We got answers....
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1989-2006 KDX E-start!

Post by billie_morini »

Kawibunga: thank you for sharing the video about the Fisch e-start. I didn't know about it. I like the design of the internal Fisch parts better than the internal Panthera parts.

Bultacobill:
I like your forum name! I'm also "Bill" and had Bultaco motorcycles in my past.

SS109: sorry you were sick. Hope you are not now. When time allows, you'll finish making an interesting starter.

GOT WOODS: My take on Panthera products is most are good and it was YZ 250 starter that is problematic. There was one KDX forum member that pre-ordered the Panthera starter for KDX. After many months of waiting, the product was not shipped. The KDX forum member encountered a life change and obtained a refund. That's all I know for how close any KDX forum members came to getting a Panthera starter for KDX.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1989-2006 KDX E-start!

Post by SS109 »

In case anyone is interested, I did my first prototype of the sprag adapter and learned a few things to get a workable finished part. So far I have learned that this will not be something I can mass produce as it just takes so many different machining steps that on a manual lathe it just eats up so much time and repeatability becomes an issue. Maybe, if there is enough interest down the road we can do a group buy and have a dedicated machine shop make up the adapters at a reasonable price.

BTW, if I forgot to mention it, after I get it to were it is a working and reliable setup, I will make all the info available for free here on the forum so that anyone can do it themselves. Yes, there is going to be some fairly complicated pieces that have to be made and modified but at least the info will be out there. Maybe someone will have the equipment and knowledge to offer this setup, or at least all the pieces you can't just buy off the shelf, as a kit for the KDX community.

I will keep making updates as things progress. Until then here are some pics of my prototype sprag adapter...

Sprag side... (you can see where I'll make major design change where the 3 smaller threaded holes only have about 1mm of full thread engagement. Center section will not be machined out for proper thread engagement so the starter gear will have to be ground/machined down for clearance)

sprag adapter 2.jpg
sprag adapter 2.jpg (87.82 KiB) Viewed 22 times
Flywheel side... (everything fits perfectly on E and H series flywheels with OEM rivets. E and H series flywheels are identical for this conversion)

sprag adapter 3.jpg
sprag adapter 3.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 22 times

Here is the adapter installed on the flywheel with sprag installed and starter gear in place...

sprag adapter.jpg
sprag adapter.jpg (88.73 KiB) Viewed 22 times
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R