Kdx 220 running issues again

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kdx 220 running issues again

Post by SS109 »

kdxdazz wrote: 11:27 pm Apr 13 2023 this is one of those kdxrider myths that is often repeated but i don't think people give it much thought when repeating it, most bikes (excluding motorcross bikes that are purely focused on top end power) run airbox lids and snorkels regardless of noise requirements, even my 12hp cbr125 runs a snorkel, the airbox and snorkel absolutely is designed to give a linear power, yes airbox noise is reduced and thats why there are no sharp edges on a snorkel,as sharp edges create noise ,big holes create more power in an internal combustion engine and small holes create more torque, for those that have found a way around these laws of physics please patent it now and become a millionaire .kdx's in the USA run a none compliant exhaust system right? unlike many other countries run a full legal exhaust system yet the usa kdx version runs airbox lid and snorkel for noise requirements? doesn't make sense right , but its not always about what makes sense its about following the crowd to feel part of the group, this response is not for you as no amount of evidence will change your mind,just an informative response for others that may be reading, as a gesture of more evidence i run a snorkel from a kawasaki boss which is about 10 percent larger than the original kdx snorkel. it is neither 10 percent more noisy or 10 percent more powerful :wink: :wink:
You obviously have never looked at any of the modern enduro 2T bikes on the market from KTM, GasGas, Husqvarna, Rieju, Beta, Sherco, or TM. Not a single one has an air box lid and/or snorkel. The modern Rieju MR200 is known as a really torquey 200, no "lid" or snorkel. The torque monsters of them all, the 300 2T's, not a one have either. I'm sure if lids and snorkels worked that great for building torque then the engineers at the OEM's would still be using them as we have had enough top end horsepower for quite some time now. With all their money in to research and development they chose to go away from this because they know it's not the best setup for ultimate torque and/or horsepower. Of course, I'm sure I can't convince you either no matter what evidence I provide. So, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

That said, you made a statement that we're all after top end power or espouse that it is somehow the greatest. You are incorrect as no one has said anything of the sort. I prefer my bikes, and I think most here do as well, to have a very linear and smooth power curve and that is exactly how my bike performs. If you're ever in Arizona you are more than welcome to come ride my KDX and compare. You will find that it can lug around all day following behind little kids on PW50's and it will be smooth as can be.

On US spec KDX's they came with really quiet (my OEM '90 silencer never tested above 89dB) USFS approved spark arrestor silencers from the factory (as they were not competition/closed course motorcycles) and the '95-'06 bikes even had a twin walled expansion chamber to help quiet things down. Yes, noise is a major issue here in the US an any American member here can attest to. All federal and state lands throughout our country require a spark arrestor that it is no louder than 96dB. Bikes sold here now don't come with anything to quiet them down as they are ALL sold as competition/closed course ONLY motorcycles which helps them get around some federal, and even state, laws so the don't have to meet federal and some states emissions standards.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Kdx 220 running issues again

Post by JZ05220r »

John_S wrote: 03:28 am Apr 14 2023 I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues again with this engine. I wouldn’t remove the flywheel or right side cover just yet.

When you do the leak down test make sure to remove the radiator cap to see that no bubbles are coming up through the radiator and also check the vent line that runs up to your air box. If it’s got an internal leak between the combustion chamber and transmission, or it’s the right side crank seal, the air should be coming out that hose. I saw a guy spray a little soapy water down that vent line, pump up the engine and it was blowing bubbles.
Ok thanks for the advice
2005 KDX220r 1991 KDX200 2022 KTM 500excf