stock 220 jetting for colorado

Got questions? We got answers....
stirfry

stock 220 jetting for colorado

Post by stirfry »

will be going up the alpine loop from silverton.
It,s hard to keep a good dog off your leg. Ted Nugent.
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Sweet riding up there! What follows below is word-for-word what a guy in my club suggested to me. He's ridden KDX's for over 20 years and has loads of data on these bikes, so I trust him explicitly. FYI, the only modifications on my 2000 KDX220 are an FMF Woods pipe (TurbineCore2Q silencer), Wiseco piston set, TwinAir filter and the airbox snorkel removed - NOT the whole lid. In addition to what's below, invest in a 1.6 radiator cap. I rode yesterday west of Ft. Collins, it was 60-65° and I was boiling over a lot. This was on rooty/extremely rocky/technical trails requiring a ton of clutch work. If your running bone stock, up the main to a 145 and pilot at 45. Also, run your coolant at 20 antifreeze/80 water. Elevation plays hell with trying to keep things cool. Good luck!

--C.J.

"CJ, you're awfully close already in your setup. Good job! Here are my notes on KDX setup. Unless I mention otherwise, your setup matches mine.

Carb settings for 6 - 13K elevation, 40:1 premix
142 main
42 or 45 pilot (use 45 if you think the off throttle response is a bit flat)
Air screw approx 1.5 turns out
Needle: R1174L/2AFLQ, Kawasaki p/n 16009-1826, 2nd clip position from top (this one finishes the jetting perfectly; about $20 at your Kawasaki dealer)
Plug: BR8ES (stock), BR8EIX (optional higher buck item, but I haven't seen any practical difference)
Oil: 40:1, pump gas w/Silkolene ProComp 2+ for low smoke. BelRay H1R is easier to get and perfectly acceptable. I have samples of both if you want to stop by my house.
Gearbox oil: BEL-RAY GEAR SAVER MOTORCYCLE TRANSMISSION OIL, SAE 80W. Or else 10W40 motor oil. Put in slightly more oil than speced -- KDX's can have gearbox howl if filled to the lower side of spec. Maybe an extra 50cc of oil.
Gearing: 12/47 or 13/51. If you do more road than tight trail, 13/49 or 48 will give more top end.
Gas tank: IMS oversized gives 100+ mile range if you find the stocker isn't enough
Steering damper: Scott's
Odo: Trail Tech Endurance or Lynx. The Lynx is new -- we're running them for the first time this year.
Tires: Dunlop D756's work very well all around
Suspension settings: personal preference. We usually just set the sag and rode 'em.

-Dan"
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm