Rear brake rotor rubbing against brake bracket

Got questions? We got answers....
KC93

Rear brake rotor rubbing against brake bracket

Post by KC93 »

Hey guys,

I'm having a tough time on this....worked/fit when I took off the rear wheel but only rode the "new" bike once.

Put on a new rear sprocket and can't get the wheel back on without the rotor rubbing against the brake "bracket/assembly" (area circled in red).

I'm dealing with a non-KDX (I believe it's from a Honda) rear hub....but again it all fit fine before I took it off.

The left side (just inside the swingarm) had a washer on there. I put that back in the same spot but have an issue now....

Should I try a washer/spacer from a hardware store on the right side to help keep that brake assembly part from rubbing on the brake rotor?

Tried taking wheel off about 10 times and re-doing it....not sure what the hell is going on...

I don't remember dropping the brake assembly or anything so don't know how it could have bent in any way...

Wheel spins without rotor rubbing on bracket before I torque the nut down but once it starts to get tight the rubbing comes back....

I hope all this makes sense!
Thanks!
Attachments
20230215_211210.jpg
20230215_211210.jpg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 1286 times
20230215_211147.jpg
20230215_211147.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 1286 times
20230215_211158.jpg
20230215_211158.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 1286 times
ssrlewis

Re: Rear brake rotor rubbing against brake bracket

Post by ssrlewis »

Looks like the dust shield on that side is backwards. The silver part between the hub and caliper mount.

Steve
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

That whole setup looks awfully janky to me. What’s up with that wheel spacer?
'00 KDX 220R
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

I think the wheel spacer is on backwards.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
KC93

Post by KC93 »

Thanks guys!

Will take it apart again later today & take a look when I'm back with the bike.

I have a pic of left side before i went to put it back together.....don't both spacers go in this orientation?
20230206_195943.jpg
20230206_195943.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 1253 times
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Definitely called that one, Nick. Wheel spacers are flipped. The wide end acts as a dust cap over your bearings. I usually stuff it with grease which protects the outer bearing seals and holds the caps on the hub when remounting and lining up for the axel.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Hold up, those are not KDX wheel spacers. You can't install the wide side in to the wheel as they're a solid piece of aluminum. I don't know what they're from but they're definitely not E or H series KDX. Also, that washer in the last pic, there is no reason for it to be there. I'm assuming it was being used as a spacer between the actual wheel spacer and the brake caliper bracket to get the clearance you need from the bracket.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KC93

Post by KC93 »

SS109 wrote: 05:50 pm Feb 16 2023 Hold up, those are not KDX wheel spacers. You can't install the wide side in to the wheel as they're a solid piece of aluminum. I don't know what they're from but they're definitely not E or H series KDX. Also, that washer in the last pic, there is no reason for it to be there. I'm assuming it was being used as a spacer between the actual wheel spacer and the brake caliper bracket to get the clearance you need from the bracket.

That washer was between the left side swingarm and the actual wheel spacer on the left side.
I didn't find any extra spacers/washers on the right side between the brake caliper bracket & actual spacer on the right side (but now sure seems like it's needing one).....
KC93

Post by KC93 »

Here's a pic from before I ever messed with it (only loosened the nut)
20230206_193629.jpg
20230206_193629.jpg (3.53 MiB) Viewed 1228 times
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Might be the angle in the first pic but looks like the rotor bolt isn't fully tightened
KC93

Post by KC93 »

bufftester wrote: 08:23 pm Feb 16 2023 Might be the angle in the first pic but looks like the rotor bolt isn't fully tightened
They're fully tightened....was thinking that for a bit.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I can tell for sure that washer does not belong on the left side of bike regardless of anything else unless being used as a spacer for that side as well.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

That can’t be the proper wheel for that bike. The rotor bolts are already worn down. It’s been rubbing for awhile.
'00 KDX 220R
KC93

Post by KC93 »

Slick_Nick wrote: 09:36 pm Feb 16 2023 That can’t be the proper wheel for that bike. The rotor bolts are already worn down. It’s been rubbing for awhile.
Wouldn't surprise me haha...not sure what to do from here...maybe try some kind of spacer/washer on the right side to take up that gap?

Other than that i guess just keep being on the lookout for an original KDX wheel?....Snohomish Co, WA state if anyone is local lol
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

KC93 wrote: 09:59 pm Feb 16 2023
Slick_Nick wrote: 09:36 pm Feb 16 2023 That can’t be the proper wheel for that bike. The rotor bolts are already worn down. It’s been rubbing for awhile.
Wouldn't surprise me haha...not sure what to do from here...maybe try some kind of spacer/washer on the right side to take up that gap?

Other than that i guess just keep being on the lookout for an original KDX wheel?....Snohomish Co, WA state if anyone is local lol
The proper fix is to get the proper wheel and hardware. Or at least the hub, you can make most any rim fit to a hub as long as it’s not a Honda since they use that weird spoke pattern.
'00 KDX 220R
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

What Model / Series KDX is this? I have an H Series 200 and my swing arm looks different from yours.
KC93

Post by KC93 »

pumpguy wrote: 12:50 pm Feb 17 2023 What Model / Series KDX is this? I have an H Series 200 and my swing arm looks different from yours.
1991 200... E series
KC93

Post by KC93 »

Slick_Nick wrote: 11:04 am Feb 17 2023
KC93 wrote: 09:59 pm Feb 16 2023

The proper fix is to get the proper wheel and hardware. Or at least the hub, you can make most any rim fit to a hub as long as it’s not a Honda since they use that weird spoke pattern.
Thank you! That's likely what I'll do
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

First off, regardless of whether its a KDX hub or not, the wheel spacers definitely go on with the smaller diameter facing in, just as he has it in the pics above. The smaller end rides against the inner race of the bearing. On the KDX there is a separate dust shield that goes on to cover the bearing. As for the specific problem here, measure the distance from the inside face of the swingarm on one side to tthe other. Then measure the width of the hub, the spacers, the brake mount and the washers. It should be the same. From your pics above, the washer on the left side likely needs to go on the right to space your rotor properly. Then you need to be sure that the sprocket lines up with the countershaft sprocket and tighten everything down. Obviously a KDX hub and spacers is the preferred answer, but not the only one.
KC93

Post by KC93 »

bufftester wrote: 10:49 pm Feb 17 2023 First off, regardless of whether its a KDX hub or not, the wheel spacers definitely go on with the smaller diameter facing in, just as he has it in the pics above. The smaller end rides against the inner race of the bearing. On the KDX there is a separate dust shield that goes on to cover the bearing. As for the specific problem here, measure the distance from the inside face of the swingarm on one side to tthe other. Then measure the width of the hub, the spacers, the brake mount and the washers. It should be the same. From your pics above, the washer on the left side likely needs to go on the right to space your rotor properly. Then you need to be sure that the sprocket lines up with the countershaft sprocket and tighten everything down. Obviously a KDX hub and spacers is the preferred answer, but not the only one.
Thank you sir! Will take some measurements & see what's up with it all again when I get some time.

I appreciate everyone's help!
Will report back with what I come up with.