Input Requested

Got questions? We got answers....
NoBs

Input Requested

Post by NoBs »

Well, here it is Dec of 2022 and I'm looking at a 1993 and a 2006 KDX 200 near the $ 3K price in good condition. Both have some mods, the 1993 having a 240 kit with 10 rides on it. Any thoughts on an older experienced rider getting either one ? The only turn offs are the seat height and the kick start. Seat height is at least somewhat doable while the kick start is not. Been decades since I had a 2 stroke, miss that blast of wheelie popping power surge. Takes an act of congress to get the front wheel of my XT250 in the air although it was a great bike to get back into riding. Last 2 stroke was the 1974 CZ 400 bought new off the docks in NYC.. That sucker was the main reason I started wearing MX boots because of the black/blue marks on the back of my leg.. I hope the 200's are easy to kick and easy starting.. Loved the new 350 Bighorns in 72 and 73 with electric start.. Tried to MC with them but I was constantly in the back of the pack though not last ( thank God ) so opinions are welcome on these " newer " bikes ..
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Input Requested

Post by SS109 »

I split your post from the other thread topic as it didn't fit there and you'll get more feedback with your own separate post.

Personally, I would go for the newer one if only for parts availability. Almost every OEM part for the older KDX's are discontinued sadly and some parts are already the same on the 1995 and up bikes.

On seat height you can lower the forks, add lowering links on the rear suspension, and even cut the seat down some if needed. I say keep it stock height unless you're really short. I am (was? :mrgreen: ) 5'8" last I checked and can handle the height with no issue and my suspension is even an inch taller than stock.

Sadly, there isn't a readily available e-start system for the KDX... yet. (I am working on building an e-start system but it has been slow going) I recommend checking one out in person and try kicking it to see if it's something you can live with for now. Only other option is to look to another brand that has e-start to begin with.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Input Requested

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Welcome aboard.

I would suggest the newer model, especially due to the other one being a 240. Over the years, I have read some negative outcomes on the 240 conversion.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128